Replacing iMac G4 (2003) parts with eMac parts (2005)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FigmentNewtonII, Aug 7, 2014.

1. FigmentNewtonII macrumors member

FigmentNewtonII

My iMac G4 (15" 2003) has some parts in need of replacement. The most notable being the hard drive. Also the disk drive can no longer push the door out of the way without being assisted. I have an eMac (2005) downstairs that isn't being put to use and I already have one for myself in my room. I was wondering if I can remove the disk drive and hard drive in the eMac and place them in the iMac? Are all the connections the same or did Apple switch to anything different for the drives?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Both the hard drive and optical drive should both be IDE in the eMac and iMac, which means you can swap them and they'll work fine! Only the G5s were ever SATA.

3. FigmentNewtonII thread starter macrumors member

FigmentNewtonII

Awesome! Thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just make sure you set the eMac drives to be the same jumper setting as on the iMac drives.

5. omarads25 macrumors newbie

i have imac 27 but lcd is damage , can i rebuild my imac on a mac chasis ???
    any ideas ?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As in put the guts of the iMac into an older eMac or iMac G4 shell? No. It would be best to replace the damaged parts on the 27" iMac.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

That is an Intel Mac. None of the parts would fit in any other Mac's chassis except maybe the hard drive and optical drive. Your best bet would be to get a replacement LCD. A custom case could be fabricated, however it would be expensive and more then likely not worth it because of heating issues.