Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I believe the iMac chipset is soldered in. So no. Plus the chip you linked is not the right one anyways I believe.

Nuc

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
afornander said:
no there not, you can replace the imac chip with a Merom or a Yonah!:D
Something new I learn everyday. For some reason I thought they were...:confused:

Oh well, to the OP, yes you can replace it. But not with the one you linked to I believe.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
viccles said:
The chips are soldiered into the MBP though right?

socketed on the desktops. (iMac/mini)
soldered on the laptops. (MacBook/Pro)

i don't know anything about the chipset in the MacPro though.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
PlaceofDis said:
socketed on the desktops. (iMac/mini)
soldered on the laptops. (MacBook/Pro)

i don't know anything about the chipset in the MacPro though.

Mac Pro has socketed CPUs. You obviously need Xeons...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
robbieduncan said:
Mac Pro has socketed CPUs. You obviously need Xeons...

good to know. at least we know all the desktops have some sort of upgradablity now. shame that you cant change out the iMac graphics card yet though. :eek:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
twoodcc said:
but how do we know that it'll work? C2D is 64-bit. will the motherboard be able to address 64-bit?

You'll still be limited to the maximum RAM that you were before as the chipset limits that. The CPU has the exact same interface to the Northbridge so no worries there.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
robbieduncan said:
You'll still be limited to the maximum RAM that you were before as the chipset limits that. The CPU has the exact same interface to the Northbridge so no worries there.

so if i put in a 2.33 merom into my 17" core duo imac, it would work perfectly?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
twoodcc said:
so if i put in a 2.33 merom into my 17" core duo imac, it would work perfectly?

You need to check the thermal output of that CPU versus the chip that's in there to ensure that the cooling will cope. Then go for it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
robbieduncan said:
You need to check the thermal output of that CPU versus the chip that's in there to ensure that the cooling will cope. Then go for it.

and how do i do that?

also, i noticed newegg doesn't have any for sale. looks like it'll be awhile before we see them everywhere?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Eidorian said:
I still can't find any Merom chips outside of manufacturer OEM's.
Yeah, and at the $700 retail prices quoted for a T7600 it seems to be a not very cost effective experiment... ;)

Even the T5600 and T7200 processors used in the low end 17" iMacs retail for around $300 now :eek:

B

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
balamw said:
Yeah, and at the $700 retail prices quoted for a T7600 it seems to be a not very cost effective experiment... ;)

B
Yeah, it's a rather expensive upgrade for a little bit more power. I'll just see if we get DX10 support in the iMac's video card next year. Otherwise, I'm holding onto my Core Duo for awhile.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, and at the $700 retail prices quoted for a T7600 it seems to be a not very cost effective experiment...

But in a Year or Two, you might be able to double your performance for $200 or $300. Any you won't have to worry about that warranty.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
pilotError said:
But in a Year or Two, you might be able to double your performance for $200 or $300. Any you won't have to worry about that warranty.
Yup, but by then you might also have a hard time finding Meroms that have the right pin configuration to drop in to a Yonah Mac. 6-12 months out seems like the best hope.

B

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
balamw said:
Yup, but by then you might also have a hard time finding Meroms that have the right pin configuration to drop in to a Yonah Mac. 6-12 months out seems like the best hope.

B

well, let's see what these new imacs can do, then i'll decide if it's worth upgrading. especially if its gonna be $700 for a processor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.