Replacing Internal HD on G5 - Easiest way to copy data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sk8ordie, Dec 18, 2007.

1. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Hello, I recently purchased a new 500gb internal drive to replace the now 4-YR old stock HD...its been acting quirky/slow lately so I wanted to replace it now before it fails unexpectedly.

Ive done some searching and found that carbon copy cloner will be able to clone the disk. Is this the way to do it? :

1. Install New HD
    2. Format New HD
    3. Download CCC
    4. Run CCC
    5. Done???

After that can I just remove the old hard drive and use the new one? Sorry for the noob question but Ive never installed/worked on a computer before.

PS Ive also heard that I can copy it via Disk Utility? Would that be better?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think how you use Carbon Copy Cloner is you either remove you current internal drive and place it in an external enclosure, or you use it to copy you drive to an external that you already have. next you install your new HDD and boot from your firewire external and clone from there.

3. sk8ordie thread starter macrumors regular

sk8ordie

I was hoping there was a simple way I could do it by using the G5 tower and copying it internally...would the migration tool be able this?

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I did exactly that.
    Got a 400gb hd placed it in slot 2 of the G5, then ran CCC to copy to the new drive. Took both drives out and put the 400 gb in slot 1 as I already had another internal to go back in slot 2. Worked perfectly.

5. sk8ordie thread starter macrumors regular

sk8ordie

OK, I did this last week, very simple, here is a step by step of what i did in case any n00bs read this thread in a search:

- Unplugged computer and opened case (followed instructions via the manual)
    - Installed new HD in slot 2
    - Installed 2gb ram while the case was open (very easy)
    - Booted up cpu
    - Ran disk utility, formatted the new drive (extended)
    - Fixed permissions on old disk
    - Downloaded CCC
    - Ran CCC (only a few clicks)
    - Once finished I turned off the computer and took out the old drive and put the new disk in slot 1 (storing old disk in closet).
    - Turned on the computer, everything works great, all settings, programs everything is the same!

Just to be safe I also ran DiskWarrior on the new drive. All in all very simple and my computer feels turbocharged, the new 500gb Seagate 7200.11 and 2.5gb total RAM made everything much, much faster! (well, fast for a PPC G5 ;) ) Plus, the new Seagate is much quieter.

I guess my old HD nearly maxed to capacity combined with only 512mb RAM was severley crippling my poor G5!

Thanks to everyone that helped.....looks like I will be hanging on to this thing for a few more years :)