Replacing internal MBP keyboard.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InkMaster, Nov 30, 2007.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Hello all - had to register here just to ask this - can't find the answer anywhere else.

Heres a question I have for you all today. I'm looking to replace my internal MBP keyboard (from the stock English one I have now, to a Japanese). My question is; are all keyboards identical? I mean 15/17" - do they use identical keyboards? - I mean the position of the ribbon cable and such.

Also after doing some further research into the subject, I found out that Core Duo and Core 2 Duo MBP's have slightly different cables on the back of the keyboard (one shorter/other longer) -- so could I please have the model numbers for all the keyboards used in CD/C2D, 15"/17" MBP's.

Also, does replacing the keyboard void your warranty? - I mean I know that technically doing anything internal is voiding the warranty, but if I have an issue in no way connected to my changes, would that still be covered.

Thanks.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I don't know about the ribbon cable placement but if you change the keyboard and it isn't noticeable, no warranty would be voided. Unless you tell the genius you made an exchange if it's going in for repair. So don't.

3. zilu01 macrumors newbie

I believe the model 922-7183 works with:

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz

MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz

MacBook Pro 15" 2.33GHz

(http://item.express.ebay.com/NEW-GE...150188691143QQihZ005QQtrZexpQQcmdZExpressItem)

I spilled some tea recently and it messed up my backlight so now I have one coming in which I install soon. There are some really good guides out there like ifixit.com and powerbookmedic.com

Good luck!

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Where are you getting a Japanese one from? I am after one for my PowerBook...

Ganbatte ne

5. zilu01 macrumors newbie

P.S. I forgot to mention, If you replace it carefully enough they will not notice/void your warranty but your case is different. Since you are changing the keyboard with a totally different layout they will take note of the mod which will not be good! If you can do it without replacing the entire keyboard but just the key pieces I think you should be fine.

6. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

there are a few new ones on ebay. For the MBP atleast... Not sure about the PB

Yeah, but the problem is that the Japanese outlay is pretty different - so while I can replace the letters, I still wont be able to replace alot of the other keys since they're different sizes :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-App...oryZ4706QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-App...oryZ4706QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thats what I'm thinking of getting - so my question is if the 15/17 ones are identical -- cause I mean if they are I'll just get the 15" one for my 17incher and save the 7 bucks or so :p

7. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I'd double check this. When I replaced the keyboard on my friend's PB a year or so ago, the keyboard was backed with black plastic very well glued to the back of the keyboard. If the mbp is similarly constructed (which seems likely) any tech that opens the unit could tell that it had been removed.

Short answer: just some dissection shots and see if that black sheeting appears.

8. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

so... You guys think that keyboard I posted in my previous post will work in my 2.33 17" MBP?

Also, another question; lets say the keyboard is replaced by an apple certified person. Do you get some sort of a paper or something that you should present at the apple store to prove the your warranty wasn't voided?

9. Debora macrumors newbie

there is difference of quality and flexibility of keyboards.

Hi,

there is a lot of difference of quality and flexibility of keyboards, manufactured by the different brands and all the technical system works according to the specific product. you may choose the latest model of keyboard from different shopping websites.

10. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm buying a OEM Apple keyboard, so no worries

btw, my question(s) from my previous post still remain if anyone cares