Replacing iPhone 4 Back Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeezyBear, Oct 21, 2011.

1. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Does anyone know if when Apple replaces the back glass of your iPhone 4, do they also replace the little piece of glass covering the camera? Thanks in advance.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Your best bet would be to ring your local Apple Store.

3. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Apple is just going to replace the back panel. 2 screws slide the whole plate up and wah la, put on a new back panel and charge you an arm and a leg for something you can do for 20 bucks.

4. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the impression it was only $29 to replace the back. At least that's what I've read numerous times on various forums. Never had to do it before, though. Is that not correct?

5. madridista59 macrumors regular

it's 29$ if you're out of warranty. my camera lens was scuffed up where every photo i took looked like i had smeared it with vaseline. they replaced the entire back and lens. i figured the lens and back come together regardless.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The glass covering the lens and back are one piece.

7. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, cool. I appreciate the information, guys.

8. wpotere Guest

Apple will do it as one piece. However, if you buy from another vendor (direct fix) you may have to move the lens over. Either way it is just a piece of plastic with glass mounted to it and very easy and quick to change.

9. WHM macrumors regular

I dropped my iPhone 4 and it landed on the corner... whole back glass shattered. I live in a town that has an Apple Store. Made a Genius Bar appointed and walked out with a new back glass $30.00.

10. Wartown Butch macrumors newbie

Not trying to hi jack this thread but I have a question....why does replacing the glass back plate with say stainless steel void the warranty? Couldnt I use the stainless steel back plate until I had an issue with the phone then put the stock glass back plate back on and take it in to apple for whatever was wrong? Can apple tell if I have removed and replaced the stock plate just by looking at it?

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm not sure you want to be introducing a steel plate to the back of a radio device. It's not a good idea given the close quarters.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Apple won't care if you have remove the back plate as long as you put on the original when you return it.

Of course, how are you going to show Apple your poor signal strength if you remove your signal blocking steel back before you show it to them??? :confused:

13. Wartown Butch macrumors newbie

I thought you might lose a little reception but I wasnt sure how much. Has anyone replaced their back plate and if so what material did you choose?

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Two screws and it slides right off. The glass over the camera is part of the back. Not sure it it can be separated or even worth it if they could. I assume if you buy a back panel or have Apple do it, it would be the entire thing, including the glass over the camera.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

There are threads on this. No signal loss.

Go look for the custom back; Titanium I think is in the title. It's over in the accessories section.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I did this with my iPhone4, got a aluminum back (fake). I would suggest you get a good quality one if you do. The one I got had crappy pieces of plastic where you put the screws in, they didn't hold up. I had to put the original back on.