Replacing iphone 4 screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Sep 19, 2011.

1. arram macrumors member

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

3. arram thread starter macrumors member

the lcd is horribly cracked, but the digitizer works fine. I can still use it. What would I need?

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

It's been a while, but I thought that the glass and the LCD were fused together on the iPhone 4? i.e. You couldn't just buy the glass/digitizer. Did that change?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Op buy the ip4 digitiser and LCD with frame do not buy them seperate! When you strip the phone be very careful when disconnecting the connections there overly fragile!

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

When replacing the iPhone 4 screen be careful when handling the logic board as it's very easy to knock off a little blue conductor which will render your phone unable to receive cellular service. Also, don't buy the digitizer and LCD separate. Just don't. :D

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I dropped my iPhone 4 and cracked the screen this spring.

I bought an item like this on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Front-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a129fb95c#ht_1668wt_814

I think I spent $40 for the part. You need the entire front assembly (LCD, Digitizer, glass), you can't install them separately.

It took me about 2 hours to do the replacement, using ifixit.com guides. It's tedious, I took extra time to make sure I didn't loose parts and had everything labeled as I took them out. After the replacement, my phone started of the first time without issues, maybe I was lucky and did it right. It's really not that difficult, just take your time and label everything. It was much cheaper than having it replaced by Apple ($200) or a third party company for not much less.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Duplicate**

9. arram thread starter macrumors member

so the link i posted above you is the right one, correct? I would prefer to get it from the states with the tools. thanks

10. arram thread starter macrumors member

And also do you think I should try apple before purchasing it? I have warranty until oct 11, and I have heard some people get a new one with no cost.

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yes it's worth going to the Apples store and being honest about what happened to see if they will help you.