Replacing iPhone 4 without warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rbai63, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Rbai63 macrumors member

So I bought an iPhone 4 on November of last year, the factory warranty is over I belive.

Over the summer I dropped my phone and the back shattered, I ended up replacing it with a silver back. A few months ago the home button started to not respond properly, I have to press it really hard for it to respond.

Could I take off the silver back and put the shatered one back on and go to my local apple store and tell them the home button doesn't respond.

My friend said he just went in to the apple store and said his friend went in last week even though his friend didn't have a warranty and they replaced it for free so he expected them to do the same for his and the guy their said they really don't even have a warranty, and they replaced his phone.

Will they comment about me dropping it and that would be why the back was shattered and why the home button doesn't respond, or should I go and buy a black origininal back to replace it and bring it in?

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can pay for an out of warranty replacement. Think it's £165 or $199

3. Dessureault macrumors member

honestly you will never know without trying ! It's always worth a shot ! :)

4. Rbai63 thread starter macrumors member

Heck no lol, I would do it my self it it was $199.

5. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 and out of warranty replacement is $149 at the apple store.
    I just did this two weeks ago because of sending mine through the wash.

You could just tell them the truth that you dropped it and the home button isnt working.

Or, you could try to replace the glass for a few bucks and then get apple to replace your phone for free because of the button, but that would be a little bit of work on your end.

But the price to replace is $149.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Some places will be nice and do it for free. It has certainly happened more than once. It is worth noting that it is NOT their policy to fix/replace something like this free of charge. In fact, I am pretty sure that even if it was within warranty still, they could refuse it based on the notable physical damage to the phone. As someone said, give it a shot. Worst case they tell you no.

8. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I've seen many people get their out of warranty iPhones and iPods get replaced. Just be honest and polite.

9. violence macrumors member

Just an FYI, ever since Apple came out with Applecare+ they stopped doing the free complimentary replacements. So since October they're not allowed to anymore.

10. kma macrumors newbie

I would be honest the apple store is very understanding and they have a way to find out if the phone has been altered by using a light that can tell if any of the screws have been tampered,or has water damage.