Replacing iPhone tomorrow for battery issues, possible to change color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I know people have talked about going in and exchanging for the other color, and what not. But i plan on going to the genius bar tomorrow because my battery percentage keeps jumping around and the phone doesn't know if its about to shut down or its okay. idk its weird stuff. anyways, if the genius does replace it, if i ask him if i can have a white 3GS replacement instead of black, is there a chance he/she will do so? Has anyone had success doing so?

(currently have a black 16GB)

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If they're the same capacities, I don't see why not. No harm in trying, anyway.

3. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah thats what i'm thinking, but i don't want the genius thinking i'm replacing it just to like change color. i was just thinking it'd be cool to try out a white 3GS (none were available when i got mine)

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Only if you are within the return policy, and it was purchased at the store, not online or from AT&T. If it is a warranty issue, then they have to do the same exact phone. This is what they told me at the Apple store around here.

I see you are from MI, not around Grand Rapids by any chance? The Woodland Apple store is the one that told me this.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Wow. Small world. :D

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

7. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm actually closer to Novi's Apple Store. But anyways i bought it online so looks like i'm out of luck then, huh :/

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I bought a refurb (ATT online) and exchanged it about 3wks later at the Apple Store for developing cracks. I had set up a Genius appointment.

They would only exchange like-for-like and it was pretty much a painless event. 10min tops.

sidenote: the warranty started with the original owner, basically I was still within the remainder of the 1 yr warranty. The new one appeared to be a new one (vs a refurb) but even so the warranty was kept at the same end date of the refurb one.

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't be a problem, but they said they have no way to do it. You would have to call Apple and do the exchange by mail. And that is if you are within the return policy.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It all depends on availability of the specific color and whether you want 16GB/32GB and their availability. I switched out from 32GB White ---> 32GB Black and it took about 10 minutes. I connected to my MBP just outside the Apple Store and that took about 15 minutes to transfer all of my data, and JB my 3GS....:cool::cool::cool:

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

First, establish the problem with the genius and make sure everything is in place to get a replacement due to your battery issue.

After that, see if you can talk your way into a white one. It really all depends on who you work with, but I wouldn't push the issue too far as they are within their rights to deny a color change unless you are within the return period.

12. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats the plan. and yeah i know, its not that big a deal anyways, i'm just curious. maybe i'll get lucky :)

thanks everyone!

13. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

You can always ask. However, the answer will almost always be no.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My neighbor took his 3GS 16GB White in for a battery charging issue and he switched out to a 3GS 32GB Black, and paid the difference this past Sunday....:cool::cool::cool:

15. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Was it in the first 14 days or whatever the return period was?

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Both of our 3GS iPhones were within the 14 day purchase period, so that may have made it easier for us. Also, we brought our boxes, receipts and accessories with us, thereby guaranteeing a NIB 3GS iPhone....:p:p:p

17. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Ya, I was going to say... don't think they would've done that otherwise.

Cool though.

18. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ OP, post an update for us tomorrow, good luck.....:cool::cool::cool:

20. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Good luck my man!

21. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hah thanks guys. i'm more concerned at the moment as to whether the genius will believe me. i can't prove to him that my battery is going all over the place.

22. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, i got a replacement, but no color change. He said its not allowed :/

Weird thing was that there "battery tests" showed my battery working fine, even though i was getting like 3 hours on a good day. So he wasn't about to replace it until he noticed my uneven bezel, which i didn't think was worth mentioning, and replaced it for that haha.

this one doesn't seem to be bad now, but i'm still with a black iphone.

23. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Ah, too bad. Was worth a shot though.

What kind of battery life were you getting?

24. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it'd be good until it hit like 50% or so, then for some reason, the battery would start to just plummet down. I'd put it in my pocket at like 47% for instance, pull it out about 20 minutes later, and its down to like 35%. The genius said everything looked normal which made me angry cuz my 3G got better battery than 3 hours lol luckily i had the uneven bezel i guess.

25. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

What kind of box did the replacement come out of?