Replacing iPhone without AT&T account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benflick, Apr 8, 2009.

1. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Hi all, recently I have noticed a crack forming on the back of my iPhone 3G (8GB) in the middle of the dock connector. I am pretty sure that this is means for replacement. I also have noticed the ring/vibrate switch is very loose and wobbly, and will change from vibrate to ring in my pocket while in school:eek:
    My phone is unlocked via Yellowsn0w to use with my carrier (Cincinnati Bell).
    I am off of school for spring break next week and I plan on making an appointment at the genius bar for then, but before I do that, I want to be sure that I can even get service from Apple without having an At&t account. I would assume so, because the 3G is now sold without a contract.
    Before going to Apple, I will restore the iPhone to 2.2 so if I don't get a new phone I will be able to unlock again. The phone will have no SIM card in it as well, however, I do have a few At&t SIMs that have no service that I may take just in case.
    What do you guys think? Your help is appreciated,
    Ben.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Ah, I would just take my SIM card out. Obviously if you are getting a new one you wouldn't keep the SIM in it anyway.

If they ask just tell them that you took it out because you were getting your iPhone replaced.

If you have your AT&T SIM in it and they take it out then try to put it in your new iPhone and boot it up for you and it doesn't work then there could be a line of more questions.

Unfortunately though I guarantee your next iPhone will be 2.2.1 therefore killing your hopes of putting YellowSn0w on it. :(

3. northy014 macrumors regular

From my experience of Applecare and the customer service at the Apple stores, you may well just be able to rock up to the store and they will give you a replacement unit. So yeah, just take out the sim card.

4. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

Thanks for the reply, Savvy.
    1. I will take my SIM card out before taking it in.
    2. Okay
    3. I am wondering now how the activation process would work if I don't have an At&t SIM. Hmmm.
    4. I agree that the new phone will likely have 2.2.1, so I will pick up a TurboSIM or the like if need be.:)

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My store says in order to get you iPhone serviced, it must be on an active at&t account. Good luck and let me know if they replace it for you.

6. teaguecole macrumors member

What do you mean by active ATT account? I have an ATT account but I don't pay for the unlimited data plan for the iPhone. Would they replace my phone?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats what most Apple stores do.
    They punch in your phone number to verify that the particular iphone is under that at&t account.

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Plus I think once they replace it, they set it all up for you with your AT&T account... if that matters?

9. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

By no At&t account I mean that I don't have service with At&t. I don't pay At&t, and I never have.
    Like some people said, Apple asks for you for your At&t phone number. But, if you can buy the 3G without a contract, how is this?
    I will call Applecare later when I get home to verify and report back.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy it without a contract to use on AT&T.
    If you jailbreak it its not under warranty any more.

11. teaguecole macrumors member

So they will service me because I have an active ATT account regardless of whether or not I choose to have an unlimited iPhone data plan?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats a good question.

13. teaguecole macrumors member

This isn't really on topic but I know if you buy a iPhone 3G without a contract you can insert your ATT sim card and it works and activates yourself. You don't need someone from ATT or an Apple store to activate the phone. I did that when I bought my iPhone 3G from eBay. It is not like the first iPhone where you had to unlock even if you had an ATT account. I dont pay for the data plan because I am in college and we have wifi everywhere. So I am pretty sure that Apple doesn't do any "activating" unless you don't have an ATT account. I also know that once you put your ATT sim, ATT knows right away that you have an iPhone 3G because I can check my account online. However they have not charged me for a data plan for the past 3 or 4 months I have had my phone. I wonder what they do at the apple store to see if you have an ATT account and whether or not they check if you have a iPhone data plan too!

However, to be on topic I highly doubt that you will get your phone replaced if you are not an ATT member. I have had friends who have tried and they got shot down. Unless you are a really slick talker good luck trying to get a replacement. Also cosmetics doesn't affect you using your iPhone, and therefor they won't replace it for that reason. At least that is what I have been told.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You need to be under warranty to get any work done on your iPhone at the Apple store ( they do not sell iphone without contracts yet)

If you did not buy the phone from apple, then they will tell you to go get it replaced wherever you bought it

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

in correct

Apple now sells iPhone 3G for $599.99 8 GB and $699.99 16 GB these are the prices to get an iPhone with out a contract. This is for the Apple Stores and AT&T. How ever at the apple store you don't have to already be using AT&T.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Incorrect.
    Apple will replace/repair any Apple product including the iphone no matter where you bought it.

17. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

Update:
    Okay, so today I went to the Apple store, and without even making an appointment for the genius bar, got a new iPhone!
    The people there were really helpful, and I was on my way in minutes!
    I love Apple:apple:

18. dcdude312 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I read your post and saw that you have cincinnati bell, which is also what i have for my unlocked iphone 3g. So i was wondering what apple store you had gone to in which is was very easy to get a replacement, since im guessing your in the cincinnati area? because my iphone's wifi has not been able to pick up signals for weeks and it stills has warranty so i am wondering if you could provide more details on what they asked for and that. Thanks

19. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

Before going in, I just restored my phone to 2.2 so I would be able to unlock it again if I didn't get a replacement. Make sure to take your Cincinnati Bell SIM out before going in. I went to the Kenwood store because that's the closest one to me, and only one in Cincinnati for that matter. Just tell them plain and simple that you don't use it as a phone, you just use it as an iPod touch because you got a deal on it or something.
    If you can replicate your problem to them, you'll get a replacement.
    OP, what did you use to unlock your iPhone?

20. dcdude312 macrumors newbie

Okay thanks for the information, because I will be going to kenwood too since its the only one in cincy. But yeah, my Wifi just won't pick up a signal and i've tried everything..So it sounds like ill do that. and I used yellowSn0w so ill have to get a turbo sim off ebay, or I might just wait until 3.0 is fully out to the public and see if they produce an unlock for that.

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It really all depends on who you get, I had one person who said if you have water damage, you have to buy a whole new ipod, where you really only need to pay $119 to replace it.

22. iPhonehelp123 macrumors newbie

Hey Ben/Guys, I have a similar problem. I have a crack on my 3g and wobbly buttons but there are also signs that show I've dropped my phone before. I'm currently running the 3.0 firmware and I'm using Ultrasn0w to unlock it so it'll work with my carrier, T-Mobile. What do you suggest I do/say when I get there/before getting there? Any help would be appreciated.:)

I live in NYC. I'm not sure if that changes anything.