Replacing Keyboard Mod

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ebutka, May 17, 2008.

1. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I googled it and searched on here and I like the idea a lot. I wanna know if anyone here has tried it. I have a blackbook and I think it would be sweet to have an all white keyboard, but I can not find any pictures of an all of white on a blackbook. Any one tried it? Any pictures? I'm going to keep searching before I do it, but If anyone can give me feedback, that would be great. Thanks.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I haven't seen any pictures of it, but I'm sure it looks cool.

I have a set of all white keys if you want it, PM me.

It's easy to take off the keys, and all you would have to do is replace them with the white ones.

3. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

only the keyboard or the whole thing like here: [​IMG]

I've also seen pictures from a BlackBook with only the keys white. maybe it was somehere here: http://www.blackmacbook.com/mods/

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i saw it both that way and the other way around the guy called it zebra im thinking about putting a black top on mine since the top is ****** but make sure u buy the right one like if u have version 2 or w,e when the time comes if u do

5. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Here's a picture of one.

Also, there's some useful tips on how to take the keys on and off here, with photos.

Attached Files:

6. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

thanks. looks badass, its just I don't know if i wanna spend a few hours doing that. :-(

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

but rember if u get a whole new top get the right version

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think it'd be sweet to have a Mac Book with the back lit keyboard from the Mac Book Air. Anyone seen that yet?

9. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

find a power and ground and put leds?

10. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

that would be sweet. that's one of the only things I would love to have on my macbook, wonder if it would work. or just wait, sooner or later Apple will offer it anyway.

11. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

there is a mod for backlit asus eee keyboard, check that out.

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, not possible to mod that in, there isn't a way to power the backlight, or there being no way to shoehorn an ambient light sensor into the MacBook.

13. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about teh ambient light sensor which is missing.

I don't want to mod my Macbook anyway, I just whink, the backlight keyboard would be nice to have (next to the nice LED screen from the MBA. But otherwise I am really happy with my current Macbook. Unless there's some really big things in the next upgrade, I don't see a reason to exchange for a next gen when it comes out.)

ASUS EEE PC also looks like a cool device, but I have curenty no needs for it. But I will check the mod out, you're talking about ebutka. Thanks for the info. I love the EEE PC's mods which are out there!

14. bstreiff macrumors regular

Would the ambient light sensor really be necessary? Not having it would mean that you'd have to control the backlight manually. I'd be alright with that.

15. countrykid333 macrumors member

could you take the keys off an:apple: bluetooth keyboard and put them on a macbook?
    the two key boards look awfully alike.

16. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Does anyone have a set of white keys they would be willing to part with?

17. TheStu macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, although they use the same type of keys, they are connected differently. If you pop a key off of your MacBook (Core 2 Duo, or Core Duo, not sure about teh newer Santa Rosa or Penryn) and then pop that same key off the wired or wireless keyboard, it will go onto the MacBook, but it will be sideways.

Since I do not have a newer MacBook, I cannot say if it would work for them or not.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have an entire set. PM me if your interested but ebutka has first dibs unless he already changed his mind.

Others let me know if you are too interested.