replacing keycap on ibook g4 - how?!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by datura, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. datura macrumors newbie

    Jul 12, 2005
    I bought my first iBook (and first laptop in general) about a month ago..

    Anyway, a small piece of debris got under the backslash key, and I was trying to get it out.. figuring (wrongly :p) that the keycaps on my keyboard would be pretty much the same as on a PC keyboard, I tried popping the key out.. and succeeded..

    but now I can <i>not</i> get it back on. Under the key, there are two metal bars, one vertical one and one horizontal one, that snap to the bottom of the key, and then go in little tabs on the keyboard.. it's hard to describe, but I'm hoping someone understands what I'm talking about.

    I looked on here, and elsewhere, to try to find a guide for reattaching the key, but only found references to a little plastic "scissors" mechanism, which is not what seems to be under the bottom of my key.. just the two metal bars.. I can get one of them into the tabs, but then the opposite-bar is impossible to get back into the tabs.

    Anyone know how I can fix this? If I take it to an Apple store, will they be able to attach it? And will they charge me? It's only a month old, and all I need them to is get the key back on, cause I still have it.

    Your help is appreciated...
  2. Lucky8 macrumors regular


    May 18, 2005
    Take it Apple store, they should be able to pop that key back on for you FREE of charge since you only have it for a month.
    Just tell them it popped off by itself.
  3. public enemy macrumors regular

    public enemy

    Jun 7, 2005

Share This Page