Replacing keys on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnrBjotk, Jul 26, 2015.

1. AnrBjotk macrumors regular

I was led to believe it couldnt be done. But on ebay there are vendors selling individual keys, so: Can you buy and put on new keys?
    See, my I and N keys are loose. Very annoying. They still stick a little, but come loose each time I press them, and eventually fly off if I type too fast (a pain as I use the mac for writing).

Has anyone done this? Is it tricky? ....And do they black keys match most macbook pros? Or does it need to be spesific to the year model?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbook-Pro-Unibody-replacement-Keyboard-Key-Keys-/220984669978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3373b6771a

2. jdsipod macrumors member

3. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

It's super easy to do. If you are actually needing to replace the little white retainer clip below the key, a toothpick is handy to remove it. Other than that, it's an easy snap into place.

4. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

I've seen some people replace the stock black keys on their MacBooks with coloured 3rd party ones.

5. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any good tutorial on removing key clips? I bought new keys, but need to replace the old clips - which unlike the keys are still attached...

6. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors regular

Cos I dont wanna end up tearing of that lill' nubby bit. Any videos or walkthroughs? Tools?