Replacing LCD Screen - iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monstr88, Mar 2, 2009.

1. monstr88 macrumors newbie

hey,

long time lurker, first time poster.

so last week i tried to replace a scratched glass panel on my iPhone, in the process i inevitably cracked the actual LCD screen under the glass.i knew there'd probably be a hiccup somewhere, but not this funked.

so yeah... i'm considering my options for replacing.
    i've seen a few genuine parts on eBay, i wouldn't mind fitting the LCD myself as long as the glass panel is already fitted.

other option was to send it to a centre to be replaced for a hefty fee.

anybody with any experience in these sort of cock-ups?

any info would be greatly appreciated,
    Sb

2. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

I sent my iPhone in to iPodjuice.com and they replaced it for 130 dollars and it came back perfect!

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

4. marksandvig macrumors regular

i did the exact same thing you did actually.. I cracked my digitizer and I wasnt about to fork over $300 to apple.. I ended up buying a digitizer on ebay for around $30 (turns it out it was a genuine apple part too).. and in the process nicked my lcd a bit in the corner.. Didnt notice it at first but after a month or so it started to bleed quite a bit.. If you have replaced the glass and digitizer im assuming your familiar with how much a pain in the ass that really is.. However, replacing the LCD is quite easy... Most of the people selling massive quantities on ebay do in fact sell genuine apple LCD's.. around $40 or so.. So $70 total for me is a lot better.. not to mention the $30 i finally forked over for a case. ;)

5. monstr88 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I'm interested in following this thread. My roommate cracked his glass screen, yet the LCD is fine, or so it appears. Apple is charging a ridiculous price and he's looking to eBay.

Is it really as easy as it seems? I mean I would probably be doing the repair and I've done iPod batteries. Same stuff right (like I mean the opening off the case)?

7. marksandvig macrumors regular

actually the glass is the hardest part to fix.. make sure he gets the glass WITH the digitizer, as some places on ebay will sell just the glass.. which doesnt help your cause because they are actually attached.. The most difficult part is seperating the black plastic frame from the glass and digitizer.. some people on youtube show themselves using a blowdryer and picking the glass off.. DO NOT DO THIS.. the glass/digitizer is on the frame with just double sided tape basically, the people who use a blow dryer end up melting it into a goo that takes forever to pull off.. if your patient u can pick off all the glass within 5-10 min. People on ebay will offer this part from around $30-35

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

umm you should let someone else fix it for you, it seems you don't have the manual dexterity/attention to detail needed to fix this without damaging other parts ;)

9. monstr88 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya think?

sent it to UK iPod Repairs, they charged about £68.95 for a new LCD & fitting.

pretty fast service, sent it on wednesday & should have it by monday - one time i wish it wasn't the weekend.