Replacing logic board & cpu or buying a new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minp227, Sep 29, 2009.

1. minp227 macrumors newbie

The guy that works at the apple store said it is better to buy a new mbp than replacing logic board and cpu.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the subject. Is it better to just buy a new model? or wait for the logic board and cpu replacement?

thanks

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Personally, for the expense of a complete logic board replacement, which replaces all the major components of your Mac, often at a cost of $1000 or greater, I'd rather spring for a new mac and get a better machine with upgraded hardware and software in the process.

That's just me, though...

3. minp227 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question.
    If I do get a new mbp, Is it possible to transfer all the files/programs from the old mbp?

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Absolutely, and the good news is that it's easy! The migration assistant guides you straight through the process.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Also consider buying a logic board on eBay, Craig's List, or other online avenue for pennies on the dollar. I bought logic boards for an MBA, iBook, PowerBook, and MBP for less than $10 each. You just have to get really lucky. All of those I ended up giving away for free to people I have seen who needed them on a forum. My advice would be to consider buying a new MBP now, remove the HDD and get your files. Keep your old Mac with bad logic board until you find one dirt cheap and then fix it yourself and have a worthy old Mac. iFixIt.com has great manuals on how to fix nearly any Mac.

Good luck.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd sell the dead MBP as parts on ebay and buy a new one.

And yes you can transfer your data from your old computer to your new one - if your old hard drive is functioning. You'd need to hook it up somehow, say in an external drive enclosure.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Migration Assistant won't do him much good if his old MBP has a dead logic board.

8. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

How so? He could just pull the old MBP's HD and park it in an external enclosure then run Migration Assistant on the new MBP.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had not thought of that.

I was thinking the other poster was recommending MA by booting the other laptop in FireWire target disk mode (which won't work if you have a dead logic board). If you can use MA and point to an external disk - great.