replacing macbook hard drive help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spick, Feb 17, 2008.

1. spick macrumors member

I'm looking to upgrade my macbook hard drive from the 80gb to a 250 or 320 gig. I was thinking about buying on the western digital external drives and pop it open so i can put the old drive back in there for backup. just wondering if anyone done this lately to know for sure that the 2.5" drive in there is a sata drive.

Model #: WDC WDME3200TN

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8621397&type=product&id=1193234237337

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/West...01493/catOid/-12973/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im confused, you want to buy a large external drive, put that in your macbook, then take your macbook hdd and put it in the enclosure you got with the external? or am i way off here?

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Why would you buy a premade enclosure for what you want to do? That defeats the whole price premium you pay for it.

Either way, go to OWC and buy an enclosure that you can pop open and do whatever you want with it.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

you can get a 320gig internal hdd for your macbook for 200$, then just get an enclosure and stick the old hard drive in there

5. spick thread starter macrumors member

like you said, the 320GB cost $200. if the drive inside the WDP is a sata drive then i can just pop that open and use it for only $150. plus i can reuse the enclosure for the 80gb.

I heard people did it and said it work out fine, but i'm unsure about what type of drive is inside the WDP.

6. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

don't listen to them, spick. BUY IT! i got the exact same one. i switched out my 120GB and put in the 320GB...it works perfectly. DO IT.

7. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Do it if you like the price point. If you put a premium on performance, then you need to do more research before you decide. Here are some considerations:

1) WD are not the greatest drive and generally have a slightly higher fail rate than other quality drives, e.g. Hitachi, Seagate. There will be lots of opinions, and someone will reply "my hitachi died" or "my WD is great." Google for stats, and get the big picture, not individual stories.

2) There are 4 key components in an external enclosure: 1. the drive interface inside the box, 2. the drive interface outside the box 3. the chipset being used by the enclosure. All of these three will impact reads and speeds. and 4. the cooling/heat sink. You can google ratings on the enclosures and the drives you are considering.

One other note: your proposal above, I can almost guarantee, voids the warrantee on both the drive and the enclosure.

I would guess that in such a cheap external drive, the enclosure HDD chipset is not grand. Also, it's likely they might use a slightly lower build quality drive, as stand along drive units are often purchased for RAID arrays and other critical work. But, if others say they've done it, and if speed/performance is not a premium for you, then try it out and let us know how it works. I'm always into saving some coin (especially on someone else's credit card :) )

(One other thing: you should really find out the base drive in that pre-built external enclosure and compare things like disk cache, etc. Make sure you are comparing like drives.)

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would really recommend choosing your drive first, and then getting an external enclosure for it.

OWC (http://www.macsales.com) has external USB to SATA enclosures for about $30.