Replacing Macbook Hd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jaredistheman, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jaredistheman macrumors member

So i have no problem hardware wise when it comes to replacing a macbook hdd. However, i'm helping a friend change hers, and her hdd is now "dead" so i told her i'd try to help her recover some of her data. I was planning on putting the hdd in the fridge for a little while then trying it out again. And maybe just backing it up using time machine to my external hdd. However, if i can't get it to work for that long/can't even get it to boot up, are there any other options to recover the data from the old hdd? And how would i get it on to the new one.

Also, while i'm pretty sure this wont work, she was asking me if she can use her restore disks that came with her macbook originally on the new hard drive? I'm thinking she'll have to buy a new license of snow leopard, correct?

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy and install new drive -> Install OS X from the install disks provided with your Mac (no need to buy new one) -> Buy a hard drive enclosure and stick the old HD there -> Try if you can recover any data off it

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

She can use her old restore DVDs to re-install Mac OS X onto a new HDD. If she wants Snow Leopard, she has to buy it, if she hasn't bought it already.

I don't know about the mechanical resurrection of the HDD though.

Have you used MRoogle to find maybe some similar threads?

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

• As the previous posters mentioned, she may use her original discs without any trouble.
    • Have you checked to see if her MacBook qualifies for the hard drive repair extension program? There's a chance Apple could replace the drive free of charge.
    • Sticking the drive in the fridge is highly unlikely to help, but you're welcome to try it. Keep in mind that hard drives are fragile, and if mishandled, could eliminate future chances for professional data recovery.
    • Is the drive making any clicking sounds?