Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I disagree, I think Apple is planning to position the iPad Pro as a unique device within iOS. I think it's very much not a given that the pro features will trickle down to the other iPads. If all those features trickled down, what makes the iPad Pro "Pro"? Just the size and the RAM? I don't think that's going to be it. I think some things will trickle down, like the variable refresh screen that saves power and the stereo speakers, but I think the Pencil will remain exclusive. I could be wrong of course.
The same views were expressed when the iPad mini was released. Apple doesn't care which of their devices they sell as long as their logo is on it.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
I've tried to rationalise such a move, but in the end I just can't. IOS is still falling far short in many areas. I'm not talking about the file system thing which you can very easily work through especially now that lots of stuff just lives in cloud containers with "traditional" file systems. Just too many things that don't work from a workflow perspective. I mean, look to "improve" ergonomics we go right back to the traditional input device we all know and love - the dedicated keyboard.

I could go on and on. The IPP is a genuinely nice leap forward and for some applications it is actually better. For the rest....were just not there yet.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I have a Late 2013 rMBP and I'm considering replacing it with the iPad Pro. It still has a year of warranty which makes it worth a shiny penny, aside from the value of the computer itself. I'm not using it for what I bought it for right now and I live in a town that is heavily artist based, I'm confident I can find a photographer or videographer who needs a mobile unit with enough RAM and power to handle Premiere and Lightroom. It should work out to an almost 1:1 trade money wise.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The Pencil IMO and the opinion of many others is vastly overpriced despite the electronics inside of it. Should be included as a selling point. The keyboard cover is also quite expensive so I'm not sure if iPad Pro will be cost effective enough to not just use a Mac.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I wish they'd bundle the pencil & keyboard as a package deal or something but Apple just doesnt do that. I require cell support too and the only model that has cell support is the 128 GB model so Id have to get that one. A single USB port would have more pro-like too. Its a great looking tablet but I feel it falls slightly short for what it costs & comparing it to what else is available in this price range.

You can buy a crackin' MacBook Air, a refurbed MB pro, or almost a new MacBook for the same price and those have stronger specs all around.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I'm not sure I could imagine replacing my Macbook Pro with any other kind of laptop, let alone a tablet. The raw power, reliability, and design are just phenomenal for photo editing, data manipulation, and playing the kinds of games I enjoy.
This.

I have a mid-2012 rMBP, and it continues to be a truly fantastic system. I would never replace it with a laptop, ESPECIALLY one running IOS. Apple has done a terrible job of ensuring quality of the last few IOS releases, and that really irks me. But OSX has been just spectacular. Pain free. I like a tablet, but the IPP display makes it way too big to carry around like I can my iPad3. I would consider getting an iPad Air if the 3 model ever comes out, but it would be in addition to my rMBP, not in place of it. Never.

To each their own.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Surprisingly enough my (2012) Retina MacBook Pro is very slightly starting to show its age compared to the 6s... the 6s is ever so smoother and more pleasant to use that it is starting to convince me that the touchscreen interface of iOS is the future.

Looking at my workflow, apps like Photoshop will be available (and potentially even better) so I don't see much that I would be missing moving from a MacBook Pro to an iPad Pro besides absolute freedom. I do have some concerns as I do web design and sales that I may run into some issues but as long as I am not working around limitations I'll be happy.

In order to replace a full-blown Mac with an iPad, a 128gb model would be the minimum for most users which starts at $949. The sheer expense of the iPad Pro compared to an iPad Air makes me almost want to wait for an iPad Air 3 with all the new Pro features, and hope for a 21.5" Retina iMac. Yet, I feel like at $949 the Pro is going to have amazing performance and some of the best interfaces/features are being developed for tablets.

Who's made a decision to replace a Mac with an iPad Pro?

I sold my rMBP to get the pro. I need the extra freedom of the pencil and better portability of the iPad. Plus iOS does EVERYTHING I need except exporting Word Docs to my school. They need to allow that in the next update (iOS 10 or or sooner)
But now I just want Apple to hurry up and release the iPad Pro already. lol

Kal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sech

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Kal: Exporting Word Docs to your school? Doesn't your school use Gmail or something for email?

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Looking at my workflow I could not see the pro replacing my macbook pro. I still need it to do some of the heavy lifting, ie full photoshop, illustrator, indesign and being able to run solidworks and keyshot. I see the pro as allowing me to leave my 12in cintiq at home and being able to sketch and do light renders in procreate.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When it takes over three minutes to analyze stabilization in iMovie for a 15 second 4K clip recorded on an iPhone, it makes the entire 2012 system seem outdated despite it being graphically on par or better than current rMBP base models. Surely the iPad iMovie would be better-optimized and be blazing.

Chloec

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
The iPad Pro, Apple try to penetrate to some work field, this is my opinion. The previously released iPad, just entertainment tool to most user. If you want to replace the Mac Book Pro, the iPad Pro could handle it well in some place, but it still an iPad, it have some limitations.

Reactions: mtneer

rwp

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2015
LA, CA, US
I have given a lot of thought to the idea of replacing my MacBook Pro with an iPad, and most recently with an iPad Pro. I use my iPad Mini 2 for as many hours during the day as I use my MBP, but primarily for entertainment (videos, books, browsing, gaming). Many of the things that have kept me from going all-in have been addressed: iOS 9 split-screen multitasking (not as flexible as a full windowed environment, but a big step forward), significant improvements to productivity software like Office 2016, Adobe's CC apps, Procreate, etc..., increased memory/storage capacities, and the large screen / full-size keyboard option of the iPad Pro.

However, there remains one fundamental issue for me and that is file management. Apple has gradually made improvements to its cloud-based file storage option; there are still considerable shortcomings. I have been using Pages and Numbers for active documents, and have enjoyed being able to access/edit them on my mac, my ipad, or a web browser. But the documents have to live in the Pages or Numbers subfolders of iCloud Drive. The new standalone iCloud Drive app allows me to browse all of my files, but if I try to open a Pages or Numbers document, it makes a copy into the Pages/Numbers subfolder. Ironically, while MS 'hides' iCloud Drive in a submenu, it does allow you to directly open and edit documents wherever they are without making copies. MS uses Apple's iCloud better than Apple.

Also: as many have pointed out, cloud storage depends on network access. If I find myself in a situation without network access and didn't have the foresight to predownload all of the documents I intend to work on, I am out of luck. Any device I am going to rely on as my *sole* computing device needs to be able to work effortlessly and reliably offline.

In a perfect world, Apple's own apps would be able to open documents anywhere in its own service without making copies, and iCloud Drive would allow you to pick folders to automatically download locally (syncing back to cloud when network access is available).

I wrote a list of my computing activities in order to figure out how realistic switching to an iPad might be. The ones with an asterisk are the ones that are still problematic to achieve solely on an iPad:

Primary Use Cases
Email, attachments
Contacts/calendars/notes/reminders
Web browsing/bookmarks
Passwords/confidential info management
PDF viewing/editing
* Document archive (see my file management comments above)
Word processing and document layouts
Spreadsheets
* Music management/playlists/ripping and burning CDs (ripping/burning are problematic)
Photo management/sharing/albums/printing
Youtube
* iTunes movies/video library (local family video library is problematic due to size)
Digital books
eCommerce (Amazon, etc...)

Secondary Use Cases
* Backups of key data to external hard drive (backing up iPad directly to hard drive without secondary computer)
Photo editing
Sketching/painting
Maps/directions
Gaming (Hearthstone, Carcassonne, etc...)
* Device firmware updates (infrequent, but critical at times -- like updating car nav system or GPS firmware)
Presentations

Tertiary Use Cases
* Software development (remote development is doable with apps like Textastic, but local dev is not)
Terminal (shell)

I remain optimistic that Apple will continue to improve the iPad hardware, OS, and software, but I think there will always be tradeoffs to be considered. Even my MBP has tradeoffs -- can't draw on its screen, lesser battery life, size/weight, etc... Maybe there isn't one *perfect* computing device.

Richard

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Surprisingly enough my (2012) Retina MacBook Pro is very slightly starting to show its age compared to the 6s... the 6s is ever so smoother and more pleasant to use that it is starting to convince me that the touchscreen interface of iOS is the future.

Looking at my workflow, apps like Photoshop will be available (and potentially even better) so I don't see much that I would be missing moving from a MacBook Pro to an iPad Pro besides absolute freedom. I do have some concerns as I do web design and sales that I may run into some issues but as long as I am not working around limitations I'll be happy.

In order to replace a full-blown Mac with an iPad, a 128gb model would be the minimum for most users which starts at $949. The sheer expense of the iPad Pro compared to an iPad Air makes me almost want to wait for an iPad Air 3 with all the new Pro features, and hope for a 21.5" Retina iMac. Yet, I feel like at $949 the Pro is going to have amazing performance and some of the best interfaces/features are being developed for tablets.

Who's made a decision to replace a Mac with an iPad Pro?

Photoshop on the IPad Pro? Please point me to something stating this will be available, I'd like to see it. Based on what I've read, if your workflow includes PS - you need to look at some other device than the IPad Pro.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Photoshop on the IPad Pro? Please point me to something stating this will be available, I'd like to see it. Based on what I've read, if your workflow includes PS - you need to look at some other device than the IPad Pro.

I agree, I think Adobe is going to support the iPad Pro only with smaller satellite apps vs full up Photoshop. I am not a power Photoshop user by any means, but even with my workflow, I can't imagine being able to say manually blend exposures from several images with complicated masking and layers in "Photoshop Fix".

I don't think Adobe considers the iOS app versions stand alone either. Here is their statement from their press release: Creative Cloud mobile apps are powerful in their own right but gain even more impact through deep integration with our industry-defining desktop tools, such as Photoshop CC and InDesign CC. (https://blogs.adobe.com/conversatio...ivity-apps-during-apple-ipad-pro-keynote.html )

So if the OP gives up their macbook pro to use Photoshop on a iPad Pro, I suspect they may be disappointed.

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, I think Adobe is going to support the iPad Pro only with smaller satellite apps vs full up Photoshop. I am not a power Photoshop user by any means, but even with my workflow, I can't imagine being able to say manually blend exposures from several images with complicated masking and layers in "Photoshop Fix".

I don't think Adobe considers the iOS app versions stand alone either. Here is their statement from their press release: Creative Cloud mobile apps are powerful in their own right but gain even more impact through deep integration with our industry-defining desktop tools, such as Photoshop CC and InDesign CC. (https://blogs.adobe.com/conversatio...ivity-apps-during-apple-ipad-pro-keynote.html )

So if the OP gives up their macbook pro to use Photoshop on a iPad Pro, I suspect they may be disappointed.
I agree also, I don think adobe will do a full photoshop for the ipad in the near future. The closest you are going to get to photoshop on the ipad is procreate. I have it on my ipad but haven't used it much since i cant find a decent stylus. Im really interested to see how well procreate will work on the pro, since apple chose to use them for one of the demos.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
Seeing a lot of these posts about people getting rid of their macbook pro or other laptop to get an iPad Pro. Seems that if you can successfully replace your laptop with an iOS tablet or phone either:you never needed a laptop in the first place or are a glutton for punishment as you kludge workarounds on the reg and convince yourself how much better you have it now. If you can't replace your laptop with an Air 2 today, I don't think you'll be happy with the Pro.

Reactions: Kiwikat88

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Reading some of replies from this post... I didnt expect to see a day would arrive when an iOS device would cannibalize osx devices. I thought IPA would be the main device that would be replaced by IPP. I speculate Apple's profit from IPP sale would be marginal since its target is a niche segment to begin with.

Last edited:

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I think if you use your Mac for fun and an iPad for fun... sure. OS X has learned a lot from iOS. The first time I saw OS X I thought, wow that's like an iPhone, notification centre and app folders. The iPad is my favourite Apple device. If your not married to Mac and have Windows for just work tasks sure. My iPad Mini is my Mini Mac. :D

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
would love to be able to do this but unfortunately lots of websites i use are still using Java and Flash...

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
If the pro had Xcode, the iMac and an iPad Pro would make for perfect development devices (even if the pro had swift playgrounds just to play around while out and about).

I also expect iOS X to be a major upgrade that brings lots of nice things between iOS and OS X

Reactions: Codeseven

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If the pro had Xcode, the iMac and an iPad Pro would make for perfect development devices (even if the pro had swift playgrounds just to play around while out and about).

I also expect iOS X to be a major upgrade that brings lots of nice things between iOS and OS X

You're probably going to be disappointed with your imagined "iOS X".

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
You're probably going to be disappointed with your imagined "iOS X".
You don't expect to see the iPad pro and iPad large screens be utilized more?

Each year iOS telegraphs what's coming next. iOS 8 and size classes created the foundation for split screen and slide over.

Extensions allowed apps to interact more.

I expect next year to allow apps that are side by side to interact better (I.e. Drag and drop across screens).

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
When it takes over three minutes to analyze stabilization in iMovie for a 15 second 4K clip recorded on an iPhone, it makes the entire 2012 system seem outdated despite it being graphically on par or better than current rMBP base models. Surely the iPad iMovie would be better-optimized and be blazing.
Just curious but do you do a lot of iMovie iPad editing? I ask because I actually use the iPad a lot for video editing and I feel the experience is awful.

Yes it works and yes they are optimizing the App for the iPad Pro but without a mouse then it is NOT an optimal workflow.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Just curious but do you do a lot of iMovie iPad editing? I ask because I actually use the iPad a lot for video editing and I feel the experience is awful.

Yes it works and yes they are optimizing the App for the iPad Pro but without a mouse then it is NOT an optimal workflow.

I don't even have an iPad anymore but would've bought a new one if Apple released a new Air.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Why not get a 12" MacBook? You'd get the portability along with the no compromise OSX. Unless you need a stylus of course.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I am selling my 2013 rMPB 15 and ordering a 128GB LTE iPad Pro. I already have aDell M3800 so ill pickup a 27" 4K for that too. Selling my iPad Air too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.