Replacing Macbook Screen W/Lenovo X300

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johnnyham, Aug 19, 2010.

1. johnnyham macrumors regular

I stumbled across this juicy bit of info about the Lenovo X300's screen: It's 13.3" with a resolution of 1440x900. Almost all the replacement screens I've seen used in Macbook mods (matte screens mainly) stuck with the 1280x800 resolution. Now, the slight jump in resolution isn't anything major, or even anything I'm attempting of doing in the near future, but my curiosity has piqued. Looking at Lenovo's tech documents for the screen, it appears to have similar connectors to those used by the Macbook's logic board.

Anybody have any idea if this could work? Or attempted to have done so before?

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I would google it but chances are it won't work. Apple is very proprietary so I wouldn't be surprised if either the onboard video card and/or cables don't support higher resolution. I also have my doubts about screen connectors being identical. Even if they are physically same doesn't mean they're identical electrically and vice versa.

3. johnnyham thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely tried the Google search previously, otherwise I wouldn't be asking here. The only Macbook screen swap that I've seen is the matte screen found way back at this thread. The guy supposedly picked up a wholesale LCD that's used by Sony and it fit into the Macbook perfectly. Looking at an eBay auction ($400 is a bit pricey for a mod!), the same company (Toshiba+Matsushita) produced the WXGA+ screen for the X300 and it has a nearly identical model number (LTD133EORB for matte, LTD133EQ1B for WXGA+).

So based on what I can glean from the Internet and without actually purchasing the screen, I think it could very well work. I'll probably add it to my "things to do before I get my AARP card" list unless I get lucky and happen across one for cheap. I've gotten a free (broken) Macbook before, so who knows?