Replacing MB hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

So I've come to the realization that I need a bigger HD in my MB. I'm a little confused on how to go about doing it though. If I use Super duper and put a backup of my existing HD onto an external HD..How do I restore it after the new HD and clean install of SL is done? Do I just download the super duper app again and use it to restore from the external HD?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The easiest thing to do is to put your new HDD in an external enclosure
    Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the external
    And then just swap your drives

Good to go

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can also use the Restore function of Disk Utility. It's slower, but more thorough as SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner do exclude some files.

4. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

How about the migration assistant? I have a Time Capsule that I use for time machine backups. Can I just connect my TC via Ethernet while installing SL on the new drive and migrate all files and settings? I deffinitely want a clean install of SL to the HDD. Just not sure of the best way to go about it.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

when i installed my new 500GB in my Mac, I backed up my old HD onto my external, and then just dragged what i needed onto my new one from the external. Most of the programs i just re-installed from DVD and then updated as needed. My iTunes library is backed up as well on my external. Only took 15-20 minutes to copy over! (82GB..)..

6. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

If I use Super Duper the way you suggested Macdawg, I'll still have to install the OS on the new HDD, right? I mean, SD doesn't clone the OS too does it? I'm really confused about the OS installation part of it.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I did mine with CCC and it definitely copied over everything I wanted, including the OS and keeping it bootable.

B

8. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks balamw. That clears things up somewhat for me. I want a clean install of SL so i'm guessing SD, CCC or even a time machine restore is not an option. Anyone have experience with the migration assistant, good or bad?
    And when using it during the SL install, is Ethernet the way to connect to my time capsule?

9. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

Just to follow up. I replaced the 160gb stock HD of my MB with a 640gb WD Scorpio blue using this method and and worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice.

10. ChrisMcD macrumors newbie

Just to confirm, I did this moving to a 500GB using SuperDuper.

Worked a treat, start up on the remote drive, use disk utility to reformat the new HD if you need to and squirt all your data across. Use Firewire if you can, mine took about an hour.