Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Empr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
I'm thinking of getting a refurb MBP but they come with a 5400rpm hard drive and I want a 7200rpm. Does anyone about how easy it is to replace the internal hard drive in a MBP and how much it would cost?

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I'm thinking of getting a refurb MBP but they come with a 5400rpm hard drive and I want a 7200rpm. Does anyone about how easy it is to replace the internal hard drive in a MBP and how much it would cost?

It tells you in the owners manual how to do this. Also, you can find videos on youtube and how-to's, on GOOGLE.

Empr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
If I did this, would it void my warranty/Apple Care? How about if it was a third party hard drive?

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
If I did this, would it void my warranty/Apple Care? How about if it was a third party hard drive?
As soon as your mac detects the 3rd party drive, it reports the change to Apple.com and your warranty will be voided.

Just kidding... Changing the RAM/Hard drive is totally fine and doesn't void the warranty. I would keep the original parts around however in case something happens to your computer and Apple thinks the problem is your 3rd party parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.