Replacing MBP Mid 2009 Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whoknows87, Aug 8, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

My battery only lasts 2 hours or so and I'm thinking for replacing it does anyone know where I can find an OEM Battery that costs less than the 129+Tax+fees that Apple charges, I really dont want to gamble and buy one from eBay or Amazon that will screw up my MBP? any sources please?

2. simsaladimbamba

Using third-party batteries is not recommended, and the 129 USD price includes the replacing* by trained Apple staff. As for finding a cheaper alternative, I don't know. I bought a new battery for a similar price yesterday for a late 2008 MacBook Pro and it had zero cycles on it and is able to give four to five hours of battery life.

* the battery is not user replaceable, though it can be done

PS: Just found a cheaper battery (110 USD), with instructions.

3. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I meant an Original Apple battery not a third party replacement, I ask because I did see a few on Amazon labeled as Authentic OEM Apple battery for that specific model but I'm still not sure and there is no way to authenticate before purchasing it cost around 80 bucks I also saw some on IFixit and they claim that they are genuine apple products cost 119 in that case might as well take it to apple ..

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you still have AppleCare, and running the free app Coconut Battery shows that you have fewer than 300 charge cycles and less than 80% battery health, Apple will replace your battery free of charge.

5. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I dont have applecare , just looking for an alternative I'd hate to spend 129 and find out i could've gotten an Original Apple battery for a lower price < i can install it myself

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

iFixit's batteries (not sure if they are OEM) are the only ones I'd consider outside of taking it in to have the replacement done.