Replacing MBP, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Glaxx, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. Glaxx macrumors regular

    Glaxx

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois
    #1
    Hi all! I'm hoping to get some advice on what my best option is in your opinion with my circumstances.

    A little background info-
    About a week ago my current MBP took a hit (not sure how, yet...) and now the screen is shot. I have gone over options on repair and the like, but I am really leaning towards buying a new (or refurb) machine. I could repair it myself, yadda, yadda. I'd rather just buy a new/refurb machine than have to deal with my unpleasantly dinged up MBP. Plus, an excuse to get a new machine is always good. :D

    I'd like to buy sooner than later, seeing as the iPod deal can knock off ~150 off of my total price if I pawn it off to someone else. I am also seeing this printer deal to get a free one with the purchase of a Mac - is it worth it to buy the printer and try to sell it to gain back some amount towards my total price? If so, any idea on how much one of these would be worth if sold on eBay or Craigslist?

    Anyways - enough with deals. Here are are the options I am considering:

    1) 15.4" Macbook Pro baseline with education discount. With this I would definitely get the iPod and sell it off to reduce cost more, possibly printer(see above).

    2) Same as above, but Refurbished. I think that with the iPod I can bring the new unit down below the price of the Refurbished model (1799 and 1699). This option would more than likely only be used if the person I get the education discount through (my step-dad) isn't available this go around.

    3) Refurb 13.3" Macbook. 2.4Ghz model, not sure on white or black but I favor the black. If I went this route, I would definitely be upgrading the hard drive and RAM off the bat, due to the savings of the machine.

    4) Wait until the new Montevina Macbook Pros are released and buy one new with the education discount. As I said earlier, I would like to not have to wait unless the update is going to have drastic performance upgrades. Will the new MBPs outdo the current models by a long shot or will it be more minimal increase? Also, there is the risk of Apple not releasing the new model until after the Back to School promotion, and I wouldn't want to wait all this time to just get my first option anyways! :rolleyes:

    I'd like for this machine to last about 2 years, which will put me at a good spot for upgrading seeing as 2 years from now I will be about to enter college.

    I used my current MBP as a portable design computer, mostly. I use it for the Adobe CS3 Design products mostly, but occasionally use it for video work with school projects and fun little projects (nothing super heavy on video at this point). I have considered a Macbook, but I am not sure if I like the screen size / resolution for when I'm out on the job with a client or something. I'm not sure if the loss of screen size and resolution on the Macbook would fit my needs, as I often am doing things like Photoshop editing and such on the laptop. When I am at home, I connect it to a 24" monitor. My current machine was fine for everything I do, but the HD was too small and I was going to install 4GB of RAM this month...but not now!

    Okay, so what I am wanting to know is what you would do in my shoes. My budget is somewhere around the price of a refurb 2.4ghz MBP (1699 + tax). I was hoping to end up purchasing a MBA or iMac (or something Apple computer in this price range) at the end of summer, but now it looks like I'll be replacing/updating my MBP. If you have any ideas of other options, throw them at me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking one of the ones above.

    Thanks for anything in advanced! :apple:
     
  2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    I just bought a MBP and got the iPod deal. I went ahead and picked up the 8 GB Touch and was able to sell it on Ebay for a little over $200 after shipping and fees were deducted. Hope this helps. I'd go with a new MBP in your shoes but the choice to repair or purchase is yours.
     
  3. fk51785 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    South Florida
    #3
    if you want to save the most money,
    get a mbp from ebay with 25% off with live.com deal.

    i just got a sealed new current gen. mbp for under 1500.
    no tax, no s/h fee. and i don't have to worry about selling ipodtouch either.
     
  4. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
  5. Glaxx thread starter macrumors regular

    Glaxx

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois
    #5
    I would go for the Mac Pro, but I need the portability of a notebook. Also, I've got a gaming rig that I use as a desktop anyways. ;) Not to mention, it is out of my budget at this point in time.

    I will look into this. Can you share more details? What is the live.com deal?
     
  6. fk51785 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    South Florida
    #6

Share This Page