Replacing Mighty Mouse (at Last)........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr.Noisy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Replacing the Mighty mouse with a Logitech v470, Does anyone else use a v470? is it ok, ive read reviews that say it is??

2. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

I have one here for use with my white Macbook and have no complaints at all. No wires or USB dongle which is handy with limited ports, and does the job perfectly.

Go for it :)

3. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I also use the v470 - nice mouse, I like it much more than the Apple Mighty Mouse, especially because of the - at least in my opinion - better scroll wheel. Nevertheless, it still looks good without overkill of buttons. Only problem I have is that the bluetooth in my iMac often doesn't find the mouse when rebooting, but I don't think that's the fault of the mouse. Nice mouse.

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Logitech make excellent mice. I have the MX Revolution which has a USB receiver but it is far superior to the Mighty Mouse. Good luck with the new one...

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It is not far superior. It is [imho] far inferior because of the USB receiver. All MacBooks, except the 17' Pro and Air, have 2 usb ports. Most people use one for external HDs, flash drives, iPods, etc. That USB receiver is huge, and takes up one port. That leaves only one left. On PCs, they have multiple ports and the MX Revo was designed for desktops (which have more than 3-4 ports). I would rather sacrifice a few insignificant features [imho] to be able to have one more USB port. Now, if they used bluetooth, that would be a completely different story.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Two words: USB Hub.......

BTW, it's not just a a "few insignificant features" it is a much more comfortable, better feeling mouse which responds far better than the Mighty Mouse. That's just for starters - then you get the far better wheel (which does not stop working after 6 months) and a host of programmable buttons.... In a phrase: "far superior"......

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

See? The Mighty Mouse connects to any bluetooth enabled computer without the need for USB receivers or cables or powered USB hubs. I'd have to buy a powered USB hub (regular hubs don't provide enough power for multiple devices) which is not cheap. It responds just as fast at the MX Revo. For the MX Revo, I also have to find a place and time to stick it in the charging cradle, worry about the NONREPLACEABLE li-ion battery, if it is defected and the battery dies, etc. MM just connects and you swap out batteries when needed. My MM still works (scroll ball stil functoning just fine) after 6 months, proving you wrong. The MM also has side buttons and the third scroll click button. That's two programmable buttons AND you can be either left or right handed. The MV Revo only works right handed, good luck if you're a leftie.

The MV Revo and MM are still two of the best mice ever made, but I can't sacrifice cable clutter (I got a notebook for this reason and portability) and extra $$ for a USB hub, and the bluetooth connectivity. If Logitech made it bluetooth, I'd buy it immediately. Neither mice is perfect, but I happen to favor the MM more since it is backed by Apple's award-winning customer service and warranty.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

did i just read someone say the Mighty Mouse is BETTER than the MX Revolution? WOW.

And the MX Revolution does use bluetooth as well, check out the MX Desktop 5500 package...

9. spunklemonkey macrumors member

I must be the only person in the world who hates wireless mice because there so heavy with AA batteries in the ones Ive had. Too heavy to move about with those in! :p

10. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Is the Mighty Mouse (wireless or wired) really that bad? I'm switching to Mac once iLife 09 ships as standard (yeah I know, it's only about $10 to get with shipping but just out of principle I will wait) and was thinking of getting it but by the sounds of it, it's not really worth it...

11. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Try one out in a local store if you can. They are not really that bad - there are just much better ones out there for the price....

12. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Any particularly good ones that use USB, I need my USB ports for Printer/hard drive?

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Obviously there's going to be people jumping on the defense because you compared it positively to an Apple product, but the Logitech Revolution mice are incredible. The ball bearing wheel. The comfortable grip. Tons of buttons. Precision. The only thing missing is a bluetooth option (which is annoying. What's taking so long?) I just old my Mighty Mouse on ebay because the mouse was uncomfortable, inaccurate, the buttons were a bit silly, it didn't pair up all the time and white just doesn't go with my new silver/black MBP.

Anyway, I have the MX connected to the USB port on my Apple keyboard and travel with the VX so it's hard to pretend plugging into USB is a difficult thing to do.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Works fine. Mine works great after 6+ months of daily, heavy to super heavy usage. Can't say that for my defected MX Revolution that's lying around. The dumb scroll wheel doesn't work, and Logitech is giving my crap service. They claimed it water damage and asked me to pay for another mouse. Hell no. I really hate the hyper scroll thing, you have to keep switching back and forth, you might as well drag the scroll bar on the screen, and save time/effort. Everything else works ok, but Logitech's customer service is .... sigh*. $100 down the drain.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You do not have to switch it back and forth. You can set it in either Windows or OS X to stay in either hyperscroll mode or click-by-click at all times.

FWIW, I use the MX Revolution with my iMac and a BT Mighty Mouse with my Macbook. I really, really like the MX much better; the MM is okay for use with a laptop but for comfort, configurability, accuracy/response, and ease of use (the side buttons are a bit tricky for me to get used to, having to squeeze both at the same time), it just doesn't compare to the Logitech.

16. JoshJosh117, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

I think I'm going to head into the store in Regent Street and demo it for a while. They're pretty handy in there and normally give me fairly objective opinions.

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Haven't you a store a little closer to home ?

19. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Home is a bit of an abstract complex right now. I'm in and around London, Birmingham and other parts of the south. Right now it's London so off to Regent Street (which is really impressive by the way, you should check it out if you get a chance)

20. argos4000 macrumors member

I use a silver Kensington mouse. :) Don't really have experience with Logitech mouses... But I saw one/used one (For a few minutes) and it was quite good...

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Been their loads of times dude seeing as live in kent,just wondered why if you lived in birmingham you was heading to Regent Street thats all ( bar a visit or whatever )

22. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

"switch it back and forth" - yes with one click of the wheel - what an effort!!!!!