Replacing my 15" with a 17" UB MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ortuno2k, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Hello Folks,

My 15" MBP is about 3 years old, and I'm looking to replace it.

I can't seem to make up my mind on 15" or 17", glossy or not...buy now or wait a few more months until the next models come out.

I don't need it right now, but after spending some time toying with them at the Apple Store, my lust for a new, shiny 17" UB MBP with a glossy screen has increased greatly. I thought glossy was going to be terrible, but after spending a few minutes on the store with a glossy screen, it wasn't so bad - and I learned to ignore it.

I know the MR Buyer's Guide suggest a "Neutral" approach, but I'd hate to buy such an expensive machine and have a new model out next month.

I can definitely wait, I don't need it right now, but having one would be and replacing my January '07 MBP would be extremely nice.

Opinions on buying now? Waiting for next model?

Thanks. :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would wait. Likely to see a bump in Jan./Feb.

3. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I'd also think you'd have to wait until Jan for a 17" update. Probably 5 months until you had it in your hand...do you really want to wait?

Buy one now, or wait for a refurb, stick a SSD in it, and don't worry about it for another 3-4 years.

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

You have the exact same MBP as I do. Have you noticed any dimming with your display?

Personally I'd hold on to it for a while longer, the old girl is still very capable.