Replacing my battery on Watch Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by donl1150, May 23, 2019.

1. donl1150 macrumors newbie

My Series 2 watch went dead a few months ago. I checked with Apple and since it was out of warranty a trip to the Genius Bar for repairs would cost me $250. Rather than do that I threw the thing in the drawer and bought a Fitbit for half of that.

In the meantime, I cracked the screen on both my iPad and iPhone. It was then I learned of sites like iFIxit whereby I could replace those screens myself with a few specialty tools and careful work. Long story shortened, I successfully repaired both of those devices at quite minimal cost. I then turned my attention again to the watch in the drawer.

I watched a couple of repair videos and figured I would go for it. Ordered a new battery along with the other necessary parts (adhesive gasket, force touch gasket) and jumped in. Got the watch apart, removed the battery and proceeded to install the new battery. Connected it and......nothing! Blank screen. Tried double button reset....still nothing. Figured the battery was DOA. Contacted the seller and they graciously sent another battery....free of charge.

Installed that one and ....... blank screen again! Maybe the battery is not charged. Put the charger on the watch......nothing but black screen. OK it must not be the battery. I took the battery out while the charger was still attached. When I did that all of a sudden the Apple logo appears. Then disappears. Then appears again. Blinks on and off. All without a battery installed but the charger attached.

Anybody know? Do you think the motherboard is shot? Is this thing beyond repair?

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

My thoughts are:

- The Watch May be rejecting the new battery as its an aftermarket.

- The Watch will not fully power on without a functioning battery (OEM).

- Or, like you said, the Watch might be end of life

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You damaged the dual ribbon display connector somehow, and that’s why you’re having display issues where it functions and then does not. That’s the only logical reason. If they are in fact damaged, there’s nothing you can do, as they Apple Watch would need to be replaced.

4. donl1150 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the attached part on iFixit. Is this what your are talking about? Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 5.14.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 5.14.33 AM.png

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s it. As cheap as that is, it might be worth purchasing and see if that fixes the issue with the display.