Replacing my broken iPhone by upgrading someone on my family plan...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by byjbyj, Mar 19, 2009.

1. byjbyj macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I smashed my iPhone screen...completely. They won't replace it for me without having me fork over my old phone and paying them $300. I was about to do it but then a lightbulb went off in my head.....

So here is my thought process:

1. I can sell my smashed 16gb 3G iPhone on ebay for over $300....(I've checked)

2. I'm on a family plan, so my thought is to have my mom "upgrade" her phone to an iPhone.

3. Wait 5-10 days or so....have her call and say "I'm having money troubles...I want to get rid of the $30 data plan and revert back to my old phone for now"

4. I take the new iPhone and pop in my sim card and that's it! Hello new unsmashed iPhone!

is this at all possible?
    It sucks because a new contract is being signed and no new upgrades are allowed for my mom for 2 years...but really she is so anti-tech she couldn't care less. If she does care...I'll buy her a phone off ebay one day.....

Thanks!!

P.S. OR....can I pay the replacement fee for the iphone and KEEP my old phone? I feel like I should be able to since I paid for it originally!

2. Macgic macrumors 6502

I don't see why you wouldn't keep your phone...also my mom actually took my upgrade to buy the 3g...lol so i am stuck with a 2g so ya you can do that. My mom just said "look i want the iphone and i am gonna use my sons yearly upgrade" and they let her. so you may not even have to get it for her then cancel it.