Replacing my Desktop with 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dyrvig, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dyrvig macrumors member

Hi all..

After my old laptop crashed late november I have been waiting for the release of the new MBP's...

I was close to buying the air, but just couldn't make myself buy such an old CPU, so I wanted to wait for the 13" MBP.

After the launch today, I'm almost sure that's not an option anymore. The lack of display upgrade i going to be a no buyer for me (unless you have some excellent arguments).

Until 1 hour ago I was considering three options, going for the standard 15" with high res anti glare, the highend 13" (320gb disk) or the Air.

I'll use my new laptop for education. I'll need to run some statistic programs (SAS enterprise guide), surfing, music, Full hd streaming to my TV, and maybe some gaming, games like football manager and rulers og nations. Not games that require graphics, more CPU and Ram. I'll bring it to school every day, but the difference between is only 0,5kg, how big difference does it make? And I think I am going to be tired of the resolution on the 13", which is why I'm considering the 15".

atm I'm using my desktop, which has the following specs:

AMD X6 1055 CPU
    Low noise quality cooler (150$), can't remember brand, still have the case
    ATI HD4870X2
    Formula IV mobo
    4GB ram (good quality, can't remember the brand)
    1 TB hdd
    Antec p90 case
    microsoft reclusa keyboard
    Viewsonic VM 2025 screen

I was once a gamer, but I don't game that often anymore. I only use it for Full hd streaming to my tv via HDMI. I can get tempted to use it for gaming, if something interestingly comes up, played the Mafia 2 game..

The new option I'm considering is selling my desktop and buying the highend 15" with standard hdd..

The thing is, that I'm in August is going to South Korea for a semester, which gives me the possibility of buying cheap hardware.
    Ragardless what MPB I buy, I will be upgrading to 8 GB and buying an opticbay where I install an SSD-drive.

My question is actualy simple, what do you guys recommend?

Should I sell or keep my desktop?
    Which mac should I go for?
    Can a highend 15" replace my current desktop setup?
    Do I get tired of the size of the 15" compared to the 13" when carrying it around?

It's my first post in here, but I have been studying the forums since late november.

You can be quiet technically when explaining stuff, as I'm pretty good at the hardware spec stuff :)

Hoping for some inputs.

/ Dyrvig

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i decided to get a 15mbp and i am going to sell my i7 27in imac .. i want to be mobile and this is powerful enough for anything I am going to do .. the only thing i will do is edit short films that i will shoot in school.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

For portability I'd always go for the 13" hands down. When carrying it around just much easier than say a 15". I really noticed a difference when I scaled down because of the amount of traveling I was doing.

I also wanted the MBA but that price point for what is just an old computer inside with a SSD, I couldn't justify spending the money. The 13" MBP upgrade today was disappointing, but I don't believe that any laptop can fully replace a desktop experience.

4. Dyrvig thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your inputs :)

Considering that I'm gaming less and less, I see value in selling my desktop and getting an allround pc..

The only problem is the portability as v66jack mentions..

So I'm kinda in a dilemma..

If I sell my desktop system as a full system on ebay etc, I'll be able to get about 1000$ (I'm danish, our prices are a bit higher) for it.
    I get a 12 % education discount on macs, which means that I'll be able to get the highend 15 " with high res anti glare for around 2.870$. (it's 3.260,05 without discount).

I'll then be able to get an allround laptop/desktop for 1.870$, which I consider being a nice buy.

My only concerns are portability and performance vs. my desktop.

Cheers