Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fc0712

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
does i break my warranty if i replace my hard drive with an ssd

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Other poster is incorrect. No, it does not void the warranty. Since the unibodies have come into effect Apple considers the Memory (RAM) and the HDD user serviceable and interchangeable parts (they even include a section in the recent releases manuals devoted to how to change these out). You only void the warranty if you break something in the process.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Other poster is incorrect. No, it does not void the warranty. Since the unibodies have come into effect Apple considers the Memory (RAM) and the HDD user serviceable and interchangeable parts (they even include a section in the recent releases manuals devoted to how to change these out). You only void the warranty if you break something in the process.

Thanks for the update.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
You tare welcome. In the early 2008 and models before it, the case had to be disassembled and it did void the warranty (as per the manual) but if nothing was harmed inside, then I never heard of a warranty issue being denied. You just had to replace with the original drive before taking in for repairs. They also stated during that time that non-Apple certified RAM would void the warranty as well, and yet again I never heard of anyone getting denied for aftermarket non-certified RAM, although it was possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.