Replacing my iMac with a Macbook pro or air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by websterisback, Sep 3, 2014.

1. websterisback macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I've just sold my iMac to fund for my new macbook as I'm moving to Canada from the UK this weekend.

I'm completely torn between an upgraded MBA and the standard MBP.

I'm looking to use it predominately for document writing and web surfing with the odd photoshop, sketchup and AutoCAD project.

Any advice? the attached picture is what I have my eye on.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I'm traveling at the moment, working on my late-2013 retina 13" MacBook Pro. Mine is i7/16/512.

I also own an 11" MBA, the "ultimate" 2013 model, which I left at home.

Despite the admittedly better screen, I still prefer the MBA. I do a lot of Adobe CC work and I'm unused to the lag on the retina 13" ... my guess is that dual cores just aren't enough when the processor has to fund all those pixels in the display.

If you're doing involved Photoshop work, buy the MBA. Even with the 8GB RAM, it is noticeably faster. The display is a small inconvenience; it's not retina, but I think it's good enough.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would get the Retina and drop the $300 CPU upgrade. For the usage you described I don't think you will notice the difference in speed. The Retina has more output ports (2X TB and HDMI) and the screen is great.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

This ^. The baseline i5 in the rMBP is as powerful as the i7 in the MBA. If the cost is a deciding factor, realize that you can save $300 and still get more than the power of a maxed out MBA. Also, since it wouldn't be a custom model, you could probably find it on a 3rd party site at discount.

5. websterisback thread starter macrumors newbie

I prefer the design of the MBA but want the performance of the MBP. There are a lot more MBP deals around but unfortunately all the cheaper resellers like Macmall etc. won't ship to Canada :(

The $300 dollars isn't an issue :cool:

6. theluggage macrumors 68030

You should also consider things like expandability and external displays: Many of the less expensive options for Thunderbolt expansion (external drives, Apple's Ethernet and Firewire dongles, the Kanex Ethernet/USB3/eSATA adapters) don't include a 'Thunderbolt out' port. So, on a machine like the Air that only has a single Thunderbolt port you can't connect any of those devices at the same time as an external display (unless you stump up for an Apple or LG Thunderbolt display).

7. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I have the 2011 MBA and use it very similarly to what you are describing. Mine is 4GB of Ram and the smaller processor which only slows me down if i go after an iMovie project or something (still not to bad). With the better processor (turbo boost is great it just obviously drains the battery) and the 8 GB of ram i believe you would be more happy with the MBA. As for the screen, i obviously think the retina is very nice but it doesn't make much of a different with documents or simply tasks (obviously). Personally i would just get an HDMI adapter or apple TV and watch videos / look at pictures on your TV is it is only occasional usage. You will definitely be happy with either option but i believe the MBA is the way to go.

8. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

if i were you i would go rMBP, if you were doing upgrades i would max the ram no mater what (you'll regret not doing it if you dont) and then CPU if your budget allows
    as for US only deals i use shipito.com to reship to canada

It is a really nice service
    I when you have a mailbox through them they take pictures of the package also listing the dimensions and weight.
    you also have several choices of selecting couriers or USPS they also have their own airmail which takes the longest to arrive but it almost never gets dinged with duties or taxes

9. campyguy macrumors 68040

My small company has a few Airs and several rMBAs. The Airs have the same processor/RAM, and we find that we could use more disk space. We don't have any base rMBPs but I have friends that have two of the base rMBP, and one of them runs PS and AutoCAD LT (which has the same requirements as AutoCAD) and she's happy with it.

IMO, the base rMBP would be the Mac I'd buy for me or my company over the Air.

Also, check out the Apple Refurb Store - I've had nothing but success and less money spent: http://www.refurb.me/ca/ - you will get more Mac than you budgeted for!

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I like the air. In all the time ive had it ive never gotten a beach ball. Hell its been so long I dont even know if it even is still a beach ball to be honest. The display is just fine for me and id rather not deal with a laggy interface because of retina.

11. yinz macrumors 6502a

Do you have funds for just a MacBook or can you buy a display as well? If you are used to an iMac, it'll be unusual to adjust to a smaller 13" screen. My advice would be to get the 11" MBA that suits you, and add a 27" display for working at home. I think that'll make it super fun to carry around and super useful for working at home (iMac-like).

Conversely, if you are able to adapt to a 13" screen size and don't want to fork out more for a desktop setup, then the 13" will serve you well. Although the 11" is much nicer to carry around, the 13" is much nicer to use. The larger track pad and larger screen real estate really helps to serve that purpose.