Replacing my ipad 2 as a netflix/media watching device

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tigress666, Jan 21, 2016.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, this is just me thinking for the future. My ipad 2 is getting old enough now and is on iOS 6 (and I don't want to upgrade it to the current iOS as I hear it really lags. I know it still runs pretty quick while my mom who upgraded hers runs really laggy). I really only use it for Netflix and watching stuff while I cook and do dishes (it's basically like a portable tv for me). While Netflix still supports iOS 6 I know of at least one other app that requires 7 (is there any way to get 7 on my ipad now? That would probably make it last a little longer).

And eventually Netflix may stop working on iOS 6.

Out of curiousity, what is the cheapest used ipad I could probably get that would run the current OS ok? I don't need much storage space, it really only is used for a few media watching apps (I have an ipad mini for what else I'd use an ipad for. Much more usable for that stuff in my opinion, the ipad is too big/unwieldy for having to hold).

Or, alternatively, is there a way to still get iOS 7 on it (I mostly hear it runs ok on the ipad2. 8 though I heard some pretty horrible things and I'd guess 9 is pretty bad too <- or am I wrong on that?). Or if I'm just using it for netflix and media streaming apps would I really need to worry about it being laggy? I really don't use it for anything else (but it makes a great portable tv as long as I can get apps that will stream shows on it).

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The iPad 4 is probably the cheapest optionthat will be worthy of buying. If you could find an iPad Air 1, that'd be even better and wont cost much more than the 4. There are plenty of both of them to be had either refurbished through apple or from private owners.

I would NOT buy an iPad 3 at this point though. Go with at least the 4.

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Apple Refurb store is a good place to start with warranty included. There or brick and mortar's open box section. A 16GB IPad 4, Air 1 or 2 would be a nice pickup. If screen size is not a factor you could get a Mini 2 or Mini 3 for a decent price as well.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Air 1 will give you a good long term investment.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

It's too late to upgrade to iOS 7 but I agree with the other posters, an iPad4 would be the minimum.

But really there's no reason why you can't continue to use the iPad 2 as you are doing until it breaks.

6. oldmacs macrumors 68040

To be honest, if you're just using netflix, upgrade to iOS 9. Its slower, but its not unusable.

7. tompab macrumors newbie

What is the reason for upgrading? IPad2 should be able to watch Netflix fine, ours has no problems. If battery is going bad and that's the only reason for upgrading, then just buy any tablet. Even cheap Androids are fine for Netflix.

For a compromise of not getting cheapest one but still getting something great, you can't go past the Galaxy tab s2.
    *Great screen
    *Lighter than iPad air 2 (ie great for watching Netflix in bed)
    *Better grip (ie great for watching Netflix in bed)
    *Sd card slot (ie so you can fit movie library if traveling).

Battery is not great for all round use due to screen using lots of battery when displaying whites, but for watching movies the screen has the opposite effect and the battery will last longer than iPad. If this is 95% of your usage, you should consider it.

Yes, it might not last as long before getting laggy or before updates stop, but there's lots of specials so price is significantly cheaper than an iPad as well which would offset any such concerns.

Or like I said, basically any iPad or Android tablet should be fine, even the really cheap ones. Just depends on your budget and the reason why you are upgrading

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If all you will use it for is to watch Netflix, then upgrading to iOS 9.2.1 should be ok. No need to buy a new tablet.

It might not be lag-free, but iOS 9.2.1 recently increased performance for older devices.

9. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

There is no reason to upgrade his iPad2 to iOS 9.

The ipad2 on ios6 and ios7 run Netflix perfectly. If and when Netflix needs a later ios, he can update his iPad then.

As for getting a cheaper tablet to run Netflix as an alternative,I strongly do not recommend buying a Samsung.

10. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

I also don't recommend Samsung since they don't support their devices past one single OS update (which is quickly overshadowed by the next Android release, and thus left out).

11. tompab, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

tompab macrumors newbie

A valid concern normally, but not once you look at how this device is used. I bought a tablet a few years ago. It was the cheapest one I could find because I was using it for reading in bath and didn't want to worry about breaking it. I checked version now, and its got Android 4, ice cream sandwich, released in 2011.

It's now 2016, and I still use this tablet today for watching hulu and Netflix with no problems whatsoever. Despite old version and despite being a cheap tablet to begin with. I really don't think paying twice the price for getting updates which are not needed are worth it based on what it will be used for.

But yeah, all depends on why he's upgrading since ipad2 should be sufficient.

12. Jerhen macrumors regular

If I was you, I would upgrade to iOS 9 before you go out and buy a new iPad or other tablet. iOS 9 is slower with animations and such but it isn't unusable on older devices. The rumors also report that iOS 9.3 (which isn't out yet, it is in beta testing) runs faster on older devices and hopefully iOS 9 will get faster. My old iPad, is an iPad 3 and it is running iOS 9 and it is basically used for Netflix. It works perfectly for Netflix and there isn't any issues. The only issues are with lag in multitasking and it is slower but not unbearable (your iPad 2 could be different since it has half the ram of the iPad 3 but the iPad 3 was graphically underpowered for the retina display and had about the same performance of the iPad 2). Before you upgrade to iOS 9, i recommend that you go to youtube and search for iPad 2 iOS 9 and watch videos on the performance of iOS 9. Your iPad 2 should be able to run Netflix with no problems on iOS 9. If you want to buy a new tablet, I recommend an iPad Air or newer. An iPad Air or Air 2 will be a lot lighter and easier to hold while watching Netflix on it. Besides my iPad 3, I also have an Air 2 and recommend the Air or Air 2 for the lightness because it is easier to hold while watching movies or tv shows. If I was you and could wait, I would wait until March and see if Apple releases an iPad Air 3 like the rumors suggest and buy an iPad air 2 when it is cheaper than the current model if a Air 3 comes out. The Air 2 has double the amount of ram of the Air and will last a while longer with iOS upgrades than the regular Air. If an Air 3 is not released in March like the rumors are suggesting, wait until the Air 2 goes on sale at either a Staples, Bestbuy, or Target and pick up one on sale. I was able to get my Air 2 on sale for $140 off at Staples and am glad that I picked one up and got a good discount.

I recommend though that you upgrade your iPad 2 to iOS 9 first before you run out and buy a new iPad or tablet because you could get quite a bit more life out of your iPad 2.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2016 ---
    I was just looking at Netflix on the App Store and it says it requires iOS 7 or later. Do you also see iOS 7 or later when you search for Netflix on the App Store?

13. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up upgrading my ipad 2 to OS 9 and it works fine for my purposes. for the person saying just stay on 6, you missed the part where other streaming services are no longer supporting os6 period (but they run fine on 9).

14. Jerhen macrumors regular

You should be able to get a few more years out of your iPad 2 before apps quit supporting iOS 9. iOS 9 will probably be the last iOS version for the iPad 2 and you should be able to get a couple more years out of it before streaming services quit supporting iOS 9. Currently I think Netflix has a minimum of iOS 7 and it will be a few years before they move to a minimum of iOS 9.