Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I actually like the MacBook better than I like the air & pro.

Yes/and. I still love my Air 2, and I loved the Pro 10.5, but I loved them as iPads. By the time you add a keyboard it's a different animal, and there are still big (for me) issues with the mobile OS and lack of fully functional mouse(-like) support. I tried - I have tried a few times - I can't make the iPad work as a desktop equivalent/replacement.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
If the MBP 15" is just for home, why didn't you just get an iMac? I'm curious. Do you sometimes use the 15" Pro away from home?

My setup at home is an iMac with dual 27" screens, and my setup on the go is a 12" MacBook. I'm not a pro, but I'd find using a 15" MBP as a home workstation kind of annoying.

As mentioned before, I also have an iPad, but I just use it for entertainment and occasional surfing (although I prefer laptops and desktops for surfing).

I was thinking of swapping the MacBook pro 15 for an iMac pro but i like the convenience of having a bigger screen laptop to move around the house or outside of the house for 4k video/photo stuff when necessary. I guess I dont really need the current setup. its more of a single guy with money for toys thing. I do most work in 1 room where I have a treadmill desk so maybe an iMac would be ideal. But as I said, the 12 inch stays. Im in my Hilton room bed with the 12 inch typing this. Can't picture dragging the 15 inch for work trips.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Any thoughts from people who has bought the MacBook and skipped/upgraded from the iPad?

Call me old school, but I prefer devices with a real keyboard and mouse/trackpad. I'd take a Macbook over an iPad any day of any week.

My friend just bought a brand new Macbook Air, and it is a fantastic machine - ultralight/portable, stunning battery life ... perfect for light usage like you described.

The Macbook is not a great deal at the moment, in my opinion, but the Airs are great, esp. if you can find one on sale like we did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.