Replacing my iPod Touch 2G with an Iphone 3G? Is it a wise idea?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jaybar, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

This is my first post.

I am a new Ipod Touch 2G User (32GB) and am thinking of replacing my cell phone with an iPhone 3G. I am not sure it is a wise idea.

I am a very basic cell phone user. I only use my phone for outgoing long distance calls and generally leave it off. I hardly ever reach the monthly allotment of minutes and I have just begun to text.

What attracts me to the phone is the QWERTY touch keyboard, which is a lot easier to text on than the standard cell phone key pad, where you have to tap each key one or more times, dependong on the letter.

Is this reason enough to give up my ipod touch and lose the 32GB capacity or is there a more sensible solution that escapes me.

I do not use more than 300-400 minutes per month. I am currently on Sprint. but my contract has expired, so I am free to move to another carrier.

What I am worried about is the steep on-going cost of the iphone, since I am a very limited cell phone user. It would cost me about $40 per month more.

Currently, we have a two line family plan. The other person in our household uses even less time than me. My partner uses 25-50 minutes per month.

As I said earler, given that I already have an iPod Touch 2G (32GB), are there alternative approaches that might make more sense.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

2. th0rn macrumors newbie

i've got an ipod touch and a cell phone as separate units, and am happy with things that way. i can avail myself of free wireless, which i find totally sufficient, because the unit itself has reasonable battery life by today's standards.

i didn't really do total homework, because i knew that i didn't want to end up with a device with a dead phone, if i happened to get pissed off enough at my service provider to cancel my contract.

consider all of the features and limitations of having one over the other -- including the ergonomics; like getting the thing out of your pocket without dropping it onto the concrete when the phone rings; answering it in the middle of listening to a song; whether the phone can be totally shut off if you don't want to be bothered but do want to use the other features of the device; etc.

these kinds of things are highly individual.

3. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Most people would do it in a heartbeat, but I use my ipod touch a lot and when I actually would need it for a call it would be dead haha

4. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Before you do anything try speaking to a few ATT customers in your area. In my area ATT coverage is horrible. Oh and don't go by those maps you see on the ATT website, they mean nothing. Try to actually talk to a few people who have used their service near you. If the coverage in your area is good and you can afford the contract then by all means have at it.

5. descartes macrumors 6502

do you use all the 32gb in the touch? are you able to adjust to half that space? do you mind carrying two devices? price out the annual cost of the iphone and it will be considerably more than the touch. although you dont use the phone that much now, your usage will likely increase if you get an iphone.

6. semin28 macrumors regular

if u want crashing during phone calls. Nah jk but not really . If I was u I would wait for the sexy n97. I have the g1 and 2g and I happy.

7. dlstc macrumors newbie

One other option:

Keep your Ipod Touch and get a new contract with any carrier you want, but get a Smartphone with Windows Mobile 5 or 6 and unlimited data plan. Use WMWiFiRouter to turn your phone into a hotspot for your Touch. Good coverage, cheaper, and you get to keep your Touch.

8. descartes macrumors 6502

creative idea. is that what you do? sounds good in theory but not sure how well it would actually work

9. devburke Guest

I'd say it's not worth it for you. Besides, T9 can be incredibly fast for texting if you make the effort to learn it :p