Replacing my left I/O board (MBP A1211)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T34418leONE, Jan 19, 2011.

1. T34418leONE macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I own and love a MacBook Pro 15" A1211 but I've been dealing with this red optical light and no sound from the speakers issue a little too long. I've literally tried everything to no avail! I'm left with no choice but to start replacing parts bc having such a wonderful notebook sucks when you can't use all of it's goodies.

So I know that I have a problem with the actual headphone jack itself because I did manage to "fix" the issue temporarily using a Q-tip and heard my speakers loud and clear! The issue came back shortly and I was depressed again haha.

My last resort?: replacing the left I/O board. The part is fairly expensive but worth it to me and I know I can do the instal myself.

A Question: this WILL solve my problem since replacing it with a new I/O board (not used) because no headphone jack has been raping the jack correct?? I can definitely live without using headphones to be honest but it's so annoying not being able to hear anything out of my internal speakers!

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Is the headphone jack on the left IO board? If so, then it should fix the issue.

Also, what do you mean by "raping" in your last section?

3. T34418leONE thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the left I/O board includes MagSafe, one USB, In jack and Headphone Out jack and ExpressCard slot. That's why I'm thinking this should solve it once and for all!

Raping -> the in and out of headphone plugs causing the issue that lead me to this problem. If you're not careful unplugging the headphones you can mess with the sensors inside the jack that mess with the optical out. So I plan to just not use headphones to avoid this problem again or be extremely careful!