Replacing my Macbook logic board, help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dontlosetouch, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dontlosetouch macrumors member

Hey hey.

Have a 2006 1.83ghz Macbook that needs it's logic board replacing and I'm looking at various ones on eBay to just slot in and go.

However I'm not sure if it's a Core Duo or C2D? I believe it's a non energy star board if that helps (I don't see it written along the RAM slots)Also not sure about the heatsinks, I THINK it's a 3 wall but not entirely sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Alex

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Hi there. If you have a 1.83ghz macbook from 2006, then it will almost certainly be a Core Duo mac with 3 wall heatsinks.

The identifier for your mac is macbook 1,1 (You will require this when searching for a replacement logic board.)

Hope this helps.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Could be a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo - they started producing Core 2's about September 2006. The easy way to check is from the EMC# on the grey label in the battery compartment.

Heatsink is complicated too - the Core 2 will have a 3 wall connector but some of the late Core Duos had a 3 wall connector and the early ones had 4 wall. The 4 wall connector is the same style as the fan connector only about half the size - the 3 wall connector is much smaller and almost flush with the logic board.

There is not a lot of point replacing a Core Duo board - you might as well replace with a Core 2 board for all the difference in price.

Avoid the later Energy-Star boards since then you will need a new battery connector too.

If you have dismantled the MacBook then check which processor it has- T5600 is 1.83GHz Core 2 - T2400 (from memory) is the original Core Duo