Replacing my MacBook Pro's hard drive: 2 TB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm looking to replace my MBP's internal HDD and was wondering if there are any 2.5" SATA hard drives with a 2TB capacity (or higher) available yet.

If so, can you point me in the right direction?

Already searched OWC, but they only seem to go up to 1TB.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

nope there is nothing larger than 1TB that will fit

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Nope but maybe if you take out the superdrive you can fit another 1TB drive in there, if you really need space. Or maybe a USB external hard drive?

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Already have a 1TB HDD where the Superdrive was + I replaced my original HDD with a 128GB SSD. But I'd like even more portable storage.

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

excuse me for asking, but why do you need all that storage and why don't you want an external hard drive? or just upgrade the SSD to 512GB so you can store stuff on that as well? i know that there is a 1TB SSD out there from OWC if you really need the space and the performance.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im kinda the same as the OP i always install the biggest hard internally available and my external is the same size and its just a clone

I dont like having files on an external only because i crahses I dont have them anywhere else, its also easier for me to manage when i only have 1 set of files

7. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

While western digital has managed to make a 2TB 2.5" drive, it is not a common form factor in terms of height. So i do not think it will fit. I believe it is a 15mm height. As opposed to the standard 9mm, and sometimes 12mm which will also fit in mpbs. Also it seems as if it is only available as the complete external package, don't think you can buy the drive by itself.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/21/weste...er-2tb-capacity-2-5-inch-my-passport-for-250/

8. Freyqq macrumors 601

9. PeterJP macrumors 6502

PeterJP

I think your problem isn't a lack of storage. It's a lack of backup strategy.

Peter.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you link me to this? I cannot find it on their website.

11. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I have two 1Tb drives in mine for 2Tb total.

You do need to sort a backup, though - that's a lot of data to lose if it's only in one place! I have a Time Capsule so both drives are backed up hourly.