Replacing my stolen iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by farleysmaster, Aug 17, 2015.

1. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I was mugged (non-violently thankfully) for my iPhone 6 Plus, and did all the proper things and am getting it replaced by insurance for (presumably) the same model.

I have a few questions now. My stolen iPhone is on 'Find my iPhone'. When I restore my new model with the old backup, will this replace that device in 'find my iPhone', or are they differentiated (by IMEI or something).

Can I rename the old device (as I wanted to give my new device the same name), or should I just delete it from 'Find my iPhone' and move on...

Any other advice?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've had my phone replaced twice, thankfully not because I was mugged though. In each case, I simply restored from iCloud backup and ended up with two devices with the same name (Apple sees them via IMEI even though they have a different name).

Just delete the old one from iCloud.

If you haven't already, since the old one is still on Find My iPhone, I'd issue the wipe command (that won't wipe out your backup in iCloud).

3. ricktat macrumors 65816

Does a non-violent mugging involve tickling you until you give up the phone? Or do you mean it was a pick-pocket..

Other answer is correct. Restore and then you can delete the old back-up to save space... You will se the older date backed up to confirm.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do not delete/remove the old device from find my iphone.
    If you do the thief will be able to use it or sell it and profit from it.
    Leave it attached to your icloud account so its a useless device for good.

5. farleysmaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a cyclist who raced by and grabbed it from my hand... The police told me that although it is locked down by the network, it will likely be sold for parts...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would maintain keeping it on the cloud at least for a while to make sure it is not used. After it is sold for parts, it will not matter. Sorry about your loss, it could happen to anyone, even some here who think it can not.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Leave it on your account. Apple can tell the devices apart by their IMEIs and Serial Numbers. Removing it from iCloud takes iCloud Activation Lock off the device, so while it may be blacklisted with your carrier it might not be worldwide. At least this way, its useless for good.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Apple has done a fantastic job of locking down the phone so it cannot be used by somebody else if find my iPhone is enabled, but it still opens scenarios like this. Sorry to hear it was stolen from you but at least it was non-violent. Reading stories like these make me want to conceal my iPhone more and more when in public.

9. farleysmaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was looking at cases with lanyards for a moment, as I thought it would make snatch-and-grabs less easy, but my main lesson is to keep the phone in my jacket pocket, and only text/read/listen to music when I have my back to the wall (literally) or am safe inside or on public transport.

The thing is I work in one of the most tourist-heavy parts of London and the number of high-end electronic devices I see people carrying in very insecure ways is shocking. But then nobody's likely to the be the victim of a cycle-by theft (or mugging) in front of Westminster Abbey!

10. farleysmaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way I think I'll give my new iPhone a 'II' on the end of its name.

Anyway my handset arrives today. How do I tell if it's unlocked?

Oh and one other thing. My device is locked by a PIN code (with no personal connection to me i.e. not any sot of memorable date) am I right to think that data should be secure? Because I could send a wipe (although I'm guessing the device never connects to the internet again), but then that might stop the phone being unuseable...

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Good advice AJ. I didn't consider that.

12. farleysmaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just got my new handset from the Insurance, along with a leaflet from my insurance provider advising me to do a remote wipe...