replacing my UMBP HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasek3139, Sep 5, 2010.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

so i wanted to get an hdd with 500gb and 7200rpm

is there a certain brand i should buy? or stay away from? and where should i get one that come with the necessary enclosures and what not so i can just unscrew my old one and screw my new one in.

also when i do get it, i have a time capsule so when i install it can i turn it on and have it boot from a previous time capsule back up?

thank you!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 is good but there is no best drive. WD Scorpio Black is worth checking out too.

When you have installed the drive, it will ask if you would like to migrate from a backup so select from a Time Machine backup

3. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

It is really simple to install. I won't post any links to how to do because others have and will do that... but it is super easy.

I will tell you that you won't need any special hardware or anything else to make your drive fit. You will simply take the hardware off of your old HDD and put it on the new one and it will just fit.

Make sure you get a 2.5" drive though. Not sure of your technical knowledge... but that is the size for Laptops... where the 3.5" drives are for desktops.

Oh and you should stick with Western Digital or Seagate as far as brands go.

6. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I upgraded to 500gb 7200rpm Seagate Momentus a couple of years ago and have had no problems.

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Yep, quite easy. I've been putting mine off for a while because I was nervous about opening the machine, but there's really not much to it (upgraded yesterday to the 500GB 7200 Momentus - good drive).

Make sure you have a small allen key or a decent pair of pliers to get the mounting screws off of the drive. Your new drive probably will not come with the ones you need (if it comes with any - mine didn't).

8. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Good point. A small flat-head screw driver will also work. I didn't have the right size Allen Wrench but my small electronics Screwdriver kit had a Flat head that fit perfectly.

9. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup it is a 2.5! And I have replaced desktop hard drives, and ram on my mbp but this will b my first hdd to install . Thanks to everyone else for ur help and video posting I'm gonna order it today , and when I install it I'll post back here to let everyone know how it went!