Replacing New Hard Drive with Older One....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevo0822, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kevo0822 macrumors regular

So my friend spilled water all over his Macbook. It was the entry level white Macbook bought in June of 2007. The repair was going to cost almost as much as a new Macbook, so he ended up buying another Macbook (the current entry level polycarbonate Macbook) as a replacement.

My question is: if I were to take out his old hard drive and put it into his new Macbook, would I run into any problems with drivers and stuff? He doesn't want to deal with having to migrate over information (I told him it wouldn't be very difficult...). I know the two computers have different chipsets, so I'm not sure if it will be a problem. Thanks in advance.

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Yep he'd have issues. My gf has a C2D and I have a CD...I needed to borrow her Macbook one day because her SuperDrive has a DL burner, where as my SuperDrive does not. I tried swapping out the drives, her machine threw a fit. (and so did I!)

So yeah, your buddy's gonna need to use the migration or copy his stuff to an external. Good luck!

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just transplant the drive over and then do an Archive and Install (preserving user and network settings). This will reinstall the correct drivers and then your friend shouldn't have any compatibility issues.

4. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I'm swapping out his drive later tonight and I'll just do an archive and install on it.