Replacing one of the two HDs on Mac Mini 2011 server with SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ejosepha, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I am thinking of getting the Mac Mini Server and would like to know if it is fairly simple to replace one of the two internal drives with a SSD. I've seen the OWC installation video when one is replacing both HDs, and also the video on replacing the single HD in the mid-level Mac Mini (which looks quite simple and something I would be confident doing, as opposed to the real tear down involved in replacing both HDs in the server). Is it pretty much similar if I am just replacing the one HD closest to the RAM..that is the bottom of the Mini?
    I would be using the SSD for OS and the other disk for storage.
    Also, can I run the OS from this bottom SSD or does the firmware require that the OS be run from the top HD?
    Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would assume it would be as easy as taking one out and replacing it with the SSD, as they are the same size.

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Very easy. Running two 2011 Mac Mini Servers with 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MIs as boot drives with 750GB WD Scorpio Blacks as data drives.

4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

You can choose either disk to be your boot drive. It's your choice.

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

You may be able to do the swap by only removing the bottom drive. It will take a spludger to remove the tape connecting the SATA cable and a little jiggling. However, I recommend a full tear down to ensure the SATA cables are connected and seated.

6. RealEvil macrumors 6502

I have done this too - a Crucial M4 256GB (fw 009). It was *quite* easy to do but the Mini is a tricker to work with than a MBP. I just replaced the top drive (which was the boot drive) and then did a Internet restore. Note - make sure you have a USB keyboard handy... I did not and had to buy a £5 windows keyboard.