Replacing one year old Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by postsanity, Apr 3, 2011.

1. postsanity macrumors newbie

About a year ago I bought the new generation MBPs. It's been fine until recently when I've noticed a heap of chips on the front of the body. (The sharp edge that continues on to be the indentation where you put your fingers in to lift the lid). The weird thing is is that I feel like I am getting zapped through these chips. I have no idea how they got there either because I keep my MB in good condition and use a mouse too.

Another problem is that my hard drive's motion sensor keeps playing up too. It keeps "clicking" as if I've moved the laptop even though i've got it safely on a desk.

And finally, another issue is that when the battery runs out, the laptop doesn't always restore my harddrive to what it was and I loose all my work. So I'm also worried something is wrong with my battery.

I'm heading into an a Reseller store this week to get my cord replaced. I have 10 days left of my AppleCare. I take a lot of care of it but these issues just seem to occur without wear and tear.

Do you think they'll replace it? And can anyone give me any advice on how I can convince them to replace it?

Also, if they did, would they replace it with one of the current MacBook Pros? I bought the last generation's high-end 15" with the i7 chip, will they replace it with the better 15"?

Thanks heaps for your help!
    Nathan

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The odds of you getting a replacement for issues that are cosmetic/normal/minor (in that order) are slim.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If your laptop is only one year old, I would recommend you get the AppleCare upgrade. Honestly it just seems like you're trying to find faults or excuses to get them to give you a new one.

4. I8P'CS, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Seems like you just want the latest version to me. Don't understand what's wrong with some people that they always want the latest an greatest.

Why would they replace when they could fix it. Sorry to be harsh but some people need to grow up.

Yes there is a better one now but if u used you mac for say 3 years u would be able to buy a better mac in 3 years time, seems like people want to upgrade every upgrade apple do, funny thing is the riches of people don't cos they understand the value of money, and how it works. Jealousy and envy is a bad trait especially when you have the said product. Just because apple release a new version does not make the last years version old or rubbish, the majority of people only go on Facebook and twitter (not me, web designer/graphic design) etc yet they think they will get a blazing fast browser due to the new cpu lol.

P.s my pc broke down last year i went out and bought the newest imac at the time only for apple to release new imacs in august last year, was i angry? No because one i needed it and two i will not buy another imac in the current fabulous design cos i have one, but when i do upgrade it will have to be a newer design and i must justify my upgrade, not just purchase it to boost my ego lol.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

the general apple rule is that they have to replace the same component 3 times before they will consider replacing it.

6. postsanity thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! So you're also speaking to another web designer/graphic designer here. My Macbook is mainly used for InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver; rather then Facebook or Twitter.

I want this thing replaced if its faulted, not because I want the newest and greatest version. I'm only asking these questions because I am actually worried they'll replace it with the newest versions which, as i've read constantly on this site, have a few faults I don't want to deal with. I've also read that if they have the older stock they'll replace it with that version. Which is what i'd most likely prefer.

Maybe the best advice to take is your own. Telling others to grow up and then acting pretentious (as if you're the only one of us who uses their Apple product for something other then facebook) isn't exactly the mature thing to do.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple will repair your Mac ... you should buy AppleCare in the next 9 days or you could end up eating any future repairs.

not enough is wrong with your MBP for them to give you a new computer