Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melbournemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Melbourne Australia
OK, I've been checking out various forums and help pages looking for information on how to take apart my G5 iMac to replace the UJ 846 optical drive. I have the iSight model which the Apple help page doesn't cover as to how to fix. I am lead to believe that the LCD screen must be removed to perform this task. Am I crazy to attempt this at home? Has anyone done this themselves? Any information would be welcome.
Cheers, Phil.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
OK, I've been checking out various forums and help pages looking for information on how to take apart my G5 iMac to replace the UJ 846 optical drive. I have the iSight model which the Apple help page doesn't cover as to how to fix. I am lead to believe that the LCD screen must be removed to perform this task. Am I crazy to attempt this at home? Has anyone done this themselves? Any information would be welcome.
Cheers, Phil.

The first body style of the iMac G5 , non isight, was the only model to have the optical drive easily replaceable. On yours, its a white 1.9 or 2.1 G5 right? I would not attempt it. The new Aluminums are easier. I myself have never tried replacing it, but, I think you can buy, (Although I'm not sure) the Macbook Air Superdrive for $99, its USB 2.0 and you dont have to crack her open and buy a new drive. I think that drive works on all macs. Just my 2 cents!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.