Replacing Optical Drive with SSD in Macbook Pro Mid-2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmac18, Nov 10, 2012.

1. dmac18 macrumors newbie

My current plan of action is to buy this Caddy and SSD:
    Caddy:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=macmixingcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0058AH2US
    SSD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=macmixingcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004W2JL2A

The installation itself seems pretty simple, so my questions are:
    • Is my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro compatible with this upgrade?
    • Is the Caddy and SSD I picked out compatible with my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro?
    • How do I install the OS X onto my new SSD and make it my default boot drive?
    • Should I put the new SSD in the original HDD bay and the stock HDD in the optical bay for maximum efficiency?

Thanks in advance!

2. bsloss macrumors newbie

I just did this upgrade on my mid 2009 13" pro. The caddy and the ssd look compatible to me. Although you will not get the full speed out of the crucial M4 since the mid 2009 pro only has sata II connections (you may be able to find a better deal using the crucial v4 ssd instead)

As for installing, I would argue the best way is to install the drive is to first format it as os x journaled with disk utility, then download os x via the app store (on your current hdd), then have the os x installer install os x on the second drive. Once the os install boots you into your fresh mountain lion install use migration assistant to import everything from your hdd onto your new install. Once you are happy your ssd partition is running smoothly make a backup, format your hdd and proceed to move whatever data / libraries you want off the ssd onto the hdd.

There are certainly other ways to do this, but for me this was the easiest. (fyi beware of cloning your hdd image directly with tools like carbon copy cloner, this can cause issues with "alignment" and will make your ssd run very slow)

Good Luck!

3. dmac18 thread starter macrumors newbie

bsloss thank you very much for your reply! I didn't realize that the Mid 2009 Macbook Pro was only Sata II capable.

You also make installing the OS X on the new drive sound very simple, that's definitely a relief.