Replacing Part Of Macbook Pro Case

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jumpman25, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

A few days ago my alarm clock fell on the top of my Macbook Pro and put nice dent in the top of the case. I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experience taking this particular part of the case apart. I'm thinking about purchasing this:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Back-Case-w--Apple-Logo-MacBook-Pro-p-16972.html

I've taken the Macbook Pro apart before to do a hard drive replacement which was easy enough. Just wondering how easy the back part comes off. It's a 2.4 SR Macbook Pro btw. Also, does anybody know where powerbookmedic gets their parts? Are they the same parts apple uses or do they manufacture the parts themselves. Thanks

2. REVOLUTION GUNS macrumors newbie

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v255/236/121/1516313/n1516313_36378192_7879.jpg

Had to disassemble the lid to install the translucent film to pull off that modification. It's obnoxious, frankly, but it's not that difficult. You really just need to take care when handling any of the parts on or around the LCD. Additionally, I've found that you risk two things:

1) Scraping the aluminum along the back right and left of the base of the MacBook while you're trying to jimmy the Phillips screws on the bottom of the frame;

2) Cracking the clips that keep the frame attached to the assembly that surrounds the LCD, which requires full disassembly of the LCD enclosure and is an absolute nightmare.

Not to scare you off! If you've ever disassembled an iPod, you should be in good shape. Prying the clips around the frame open (with a credit card or other rigid, but thin tool) just takes patience and a lot of time.

The guides on the site you're ordering the part from (PowerBook Medic) are phenomenal. I also had found a blog that someone had written up that had great pictures, but I honestly can't find it.

3. REVOLUTION GUNS macrumors newbie

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: the lid essentially slides upward vertically off of the LCD frame when all of the clips are separated. It alone doesn't have any cables/etc. attached to it or routed through it. That makes it a lot easier.

Best of luck!

4. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. When I upgraded the hard drive the clips that hold the top of the casing to the bottom were a bit of a nightmare. I had to push down really hard to get them to snap back into place. Hopefully I don't have to do that with the LCD. Anyway, all in all it doesn't sound that difficult. That dent in the top of the case is eating away at me so I think I'll give it a go.