replacing parts on unibody macbook???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OSXRANDOMANIMAL, Jan 26, 2009.

1. OSXRANDOMANIMAL macrumors newbie

i was wondering if things other than the HDD and RAM are user replaceable. mainly, i would like to replace the nvidia 9400m with the macbook pro's nvidia 9600m GT, is this possible?

2. MrM macrumors 6502

You can replace anything you want. It's just a matter of how involved you would like to get, and how much money you have.

3. OSXRANDOMANIMAL thread starter macrumors newbie

i was under the impression certain things you just could not upgrade, but thank you. two more things

1. where in the world can i find this video card for purchase?
    2. sorry for the double thread post, safari has been screwy.

4. MrM macrumors 6502

In your first post you said replace, not upgrade. After re-reading your post I realized that I missed what you were getting at anyway.

Swapping out the NVidia Card for another probably will not work, unless you would like to be the first to try and hack it together. But I've got a lot of money that says it absolutely will not work.

The only things you can really "upgrade" are the RAM and the HD.

5. OSXRANDOMANIMAL thread starter macrumors newbie

well it would be replacing and upgrading i suppose. i don't see why this wouldn't work, the card is obviously a compatible device, i would just have to configure some things around.

i don't really know anything about the inner workings of OS X, things like BIOS or whatever it is called on this platform. but it seems to me that this should work fine in the macbook.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm pretty sure the video card is soldered onto the logic board. So have fun with that one.

The harddrive and RAM are user replaceable.

7. OSXRANDOMANIMAL thread starter macrumors newbie

yes that's what i was afraid of. i will have to find a definitive answer though.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Here's your definitive answer: You cannot swap the 9400M out for the 9600GT.

The 9400M is not only the GFX chip, but the main chipset (read: Northbridge, IIRC) , chip as well. That's part of the reason the Pro has both chips.

If you don't believe me, check out the logic board itself: http://static1.ifixit.com/igi/AUZYBwBSf4DGQiru.large The chip with the smaller center bit is the Core2Duo, the larger is the nVidia chip. Under the thermal paste is the label MCP79MXT-B2. MCP79 is the chipset used. (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Unibody/Page-6 multiple images under step 17)

Here's what the Pro Logic Board looks like: http://static2.ifixit.com/igi/n2TrniSjqkvPPsuc.large