replacing parts, possible upgrade on imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danstrife, Dec 21, 2010.

1. danstrife macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So it turns out my graphics card is damaged, and as far as I know, it is covered under warranty, so it will be repaired for free. If my repair warrants a replacement (which I imagine is the most likely scenario), this will require a replaced logic board and possibly processor, since both of components are on the logic board. My imac is a 27", one generation back. Is it even possible to put the new imac components in it, (for instance, the low end 27" that has i3 processor and 512 MB VRAM card?)? since it requires replacement with outdated parts, is this a remote possibility? I imagine it will depend on he specific store I bring it to.

thanks
    edit: to clarify, my imac is the previous generation low end. that means intel core 2 dou processor, and ATI 4650 256 MB VRAM card. The current low end is ATI 5670 (i think) and i3 processor

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Assuming you are still under warranty, Apple will replace the logic board, but it will be done by Apple and you won't get any parts back. Apple has enough stock to replace older systems.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you are asking if Apple will replace your older generation logic board with the current logic board, no. They will replace it with a new logic board of the appropriate generation. They keep spares.