Replacing phone Security Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneg33k, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iphoneg33k macrumors member

Hello all,

I am heading over to the apple store tonight to see if they will replace my phone. it's been acting up with power issue and restarting by itself. My question is

since I have a lot of pictures and other personal information if I do get a replacement can they access the information on phone even if they take out my SIM card?

I use my phone for work stuff plus keep certain password for business and personal on it.

Any idea please let me know.

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

The Apple people will wipe/erase the phone in Front of you before taking it in on Trade.

So that will pretty much take care of your concerns. I guess it is possible for someone who is skilled to pull out the memory chips and possibly recover it.... but you should be fine.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Done this twice at Apple and each time, the Genius ensured I executed a clean wipe before I gave them the phone. This is part of their protocol.

Apple would not want to whether the storm of its employees scamming a customers personal data. As such, it is procedure for them to have you do this before they take custody of your old phone.

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Exactly. They will do it. In front of you. And tell you they are doing it. My "genius" even had me confirm that it was done and that it was wiped.