Replacing (physical keyb) language

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adam9c1, Nov 20, 2015.

  1. adam9c1 macrumors 68000


    May 2, 2012
    Laptop has German keyboard.
    Is there a way to replace keyb and top case for US standard?
    Will the machine then know that is's US?
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I don't think you can easily do it, though look at the teardown guides in fixit to be sure. Also look for any US keyboards on eBay.
  3. Dadioh macrumors 65816


    Feb 3, 2010
    Canada Eh?
    Assuming you are talking about a non-retina Pro...

    The US English keyboards have a slightly different key layout. Easiest way to identify is to look at the return key. On US English it is a horizontal rectangle. On most other language keyboards it is an inverted "L" shape. See images below.

    I believe that the UK English keyboard is the inverted L type so you could change to one of those.

    The MacBook/OS automatically detect what keyboard is attached so nothing else but changing required. It is a tedious job due to the billion tiny screws holding it on but it is not particularly difficult. I have done it dozens of times. Fixit may have a guide. You need to remove the logic board and Optical drive. Do out in an ESD protected environment.

    US keyboard.jpeg non-US keyboard.jpeg

Share This Page