Replacing PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wacomme, May 17, 2010.

1. wacomme macrumors regular

My PowerMac G5 2.3 is still going strong. However, more and more programs and functions require the Intel chip. So, it's time to keep up with changing times.

As a photographer (side career), I have several hard drives and backup systems. I also have a large 30" NEC monitor. My primary CPU intensive program is PhotoShop. I also use Aperture. Through work (teacher) I have a PC laptop at my disposal.

Should I upgrade to another desktop machine? Mac Pro? If so, which one? Or, should I consider a laptop machine for the versatility? I don't want to buy more computer than I need. However, I don't want to buy a new computer every year or two either. I tend to run my computer with a half-dozen or more programs running simultaneously.

Thanks for your help.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Just about anything you buy will be faster than the G5. A Mac Pro has the storage versatility but an iMac, mini or MacBook Pro can take FW800 drives as well. Note that a notebook will wear out quicker than a desktop due to transportation wear and tear.

3. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

Does the Mini or MacBook Pro accept SATA drive connections? Most of my current drives feed into my G5 via a SATA connection.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Internally, not external. You could buy a external drive thats firewire with SATA inside.

PM with a price for your G5. I love G5s.

5. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

How does the mini compare to the PowerBook Pro?

6. budugu macrumors 6502

I guess you mean macbook pro :p ... yeah pretty much the same except for smaller clock speed and slightly worse GPU. I think you will not have esata on either. So i would suggest getting the mac mini (if you look around in the internets you can easily get one new for 500$). + getting a macbook (800$ in microcenter) will still be far cheaper than a macbook pro or mac pro. Unless you need super portability i would simply get the mac mini (if the graphics card suffices for your PS needs) to leverage that 30" NEC display!

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook Pro with express card slot can take SATA drives via adapters. Video editing and high performance people do it with RAID drives.

8. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh. That's nice to know. I really don't want to replace my SATA enclosures. Will a Powerbook Pro drive my 30" NEC monitor adequately (for Photoshop and Aperture)? Are the new Powerbook Pros (15") worth their premium price over older refurb models?

9. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

A Mini is an interesting and inexpensive alternative. However, would it drive my monitor and keep up with Aperture and Photoshop activities?

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If the upgrade need is not urgent, and it doesn't sound like it is since you mentioned side career, you could also wait another month or so for new Mac Pros to be released and get a cheaper refurb 2009 model then.

11. The Boat Guy macrumors newbie

G5 vs mac mini

Hi there, I'm running both a dual 2 ghz G5 and a 2.53ghz mac mini. What I notice is that the G5 starts up quicker, but shuts down slower, and the mini is much quicker with graphically intensive tasks (which follows) such as handbrake. However I tend to gravitate to the G5 for aperture and any rapidweaver stuff, can't say why, as they both have 4GB of memory. The G5 just feels more like a machine to do this stuff on, but I'm happy to be corrected! Just my thoughts on your question, I somehow think if the G5 died I'd get a Mac Pro.

12. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

Waiting isn't a problem. However, for my needs, is a Mac Pro a prudent purchase?

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Since you don't need a laptop, and if you can get a refurb at a good price, why not? It will last way longer than any other mac.

14. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Replacing a G5

A Mini can be an alternative.
    The Mini will drive two monitors a laptop only one. You can get 8GB of RAM for a mini. The mini has multiple USB connections and support FW800.
    If you need SATA for multiple enclosures you only choice is a MacPro.

The choice will be 4 vs 8 cores.
    Look at the refurb page http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTM3NDY2NTI

Currently the selection is bad but, there are normally machines that start about $2200.
    That is for the 4 core Nehalem at 2.26 GHz.
    I have a 2.8 GHz Xeon 8 core and they go for about $100-200 more.
    The older 8 core has some features that are better in terms of memory expansion.

Bottom line is that you can get 4 minis for the price of 1 MacPro.
    But if you need the SATA the a MacPro is what you will have to get.

I replaced on of my G5s with a mini since I didn't need the expansion.
    Works great and I use Lightroom on it.

15. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

Need and want are two different things. Since I already have sata enclosures, keeping them would be nice. However, I could switch to FW800 enclosures.

That being said, perhaps it would be best to wait for the new Mac Pros this summer and pick up an older refurb Mac Pro at that time. And since I'm a teacher, perhaps I should wait for the educator discounts too.