Replacing Purchased AAC files with ALAC files for an iTunes LP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mnmlist, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mnmlist macrumors newbie

Okay, so here's the situation. I have a handful of iTunes LP's and I LOVE the layout but I'm also fond of using ALAC (Apple Lossless) when ripping my CD collection.

I had this light bulb moment recently and the question occurred to me: would it be possible to successfully use ALAC rips in place of the Purchased AAC files and do so successfully? Will the iTunes LP still recognize the files? After all they will still be .m4a files.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

:apple:

2. Bear macrumors G3

And where would these ALAC versions be coming from? If you're talking about converting the AAC files to ALAC, it won't gain you anything (not even sound quality) and just wastes some disk space.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

It's important to recognize that AAC is a "lossy" format, while ALAC is a "lossless" format. People will lose bits most commonly with lossy formats by something called "drippage".

AAC is like a spaghetti colander, and ALAC is like a bucket. Which one do you think is going to drip more? ;)

Put it another way, music is like the "flow". AAC is like a itty stream, and ALAC is Niagra Falls.

5. mnmlist thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys I totally understand the difference between AAC and ALAC. The ALAC's would be ripped by me to replace the iTunes purchased AAC's...

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The site I linked has tutorials for making your own iTunes LPs that should help you figure out what needs to be down to accomplish your goal.

e.g.

B