Replacing RAM and HD... Battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by far4477, Apr 21, 2011.

1. far4477 macrumors member

Hello everyone, I was wondering if replacing ram for 8gb 1666mhz and the hd with an ssd would decrease battery life. Does it?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

A SSD consumes less power, and RAM is RAM, so in all likeliness, you'll probably gain 20-30 minutes of battery life.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

not true, the higher frequency ram will consume more power, an as he is upgrading the size as well there will be twice the amount of modules on the block, each consumes a set amount of power.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The difference would still be quite minimal. In fact, I did not notice neither a drop or increase in battery life when I upgraded mine. RAM is pretty low-powered, DDR2 ram, for example consumes 400 mW or less. Since DDR3(what the OP has) is rated at 1.5V instead of 1.8V, it consumes even less power. My argument still stands, RAM will not be making a difference, in itself to the overall power draw.

Now, if the OP uses his extra ram to open VM's, do RAM intensive work such as photoshop amongst other things, then YES, his battery life will decrease, but that'll be due to usage, not the RAM.

5. far4477 thread starter macrumors member